• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

NGK tr55

svt2sho

CEG'er
are the ngk tr55s a step colder? and which ones are guys going with just the V powers or what? it doest say anything about them being a step colder...

I beleive the TR6 plugs are the ones you want. Hope you dont plan on running them in the winter:help: . I will say one thing One step colder plugs +42lb injectors+ cold weather= car not wanting to idle lol.

Aaron

I beleive the TR6 plugs are the ones you want. Hope you dont plan on running them in the winter:help: . I will say one thing One step colder plugs +42lb injectors+ cold weather= car not wanting to idle lol.

Aaron

true. from experience. those r the ones i got, TR6. the car would rather live on redline. i gladly bow in submission ;)

I swapped out the colder TR6's for autolite x2 plats, much nicer idle.

I cannot imagine trying to idle in 20* weather with my 39lbs and those TR6s.

You are correct those that they run real nice up high in the rev range.

TR6 sucks in the cold. Starts suck with them too. I drove SVT SNOBS svt the other day, it stalled 11 times on me going 4 miles down the road. Not fun. I am switching to tr55 in the spring though.

Use the TR55 or TR6 plugs. Either way, you cant go wrong. I run up to a 100 shot on the tr6, but am going to switch to the TR55 in the spring.

im running the ngk TR55IX's in mine. they are the iridium 9's have a rough idle but im thinkin its an intake gasket or something. it runs fine in the cold until i let it sit at idle, then it will surge. NGK FTW

I use TR6's and have a 8.8:1 CR running #42 injectors & 80mm MAF ... car idled just fine yesterday when I started it in 20 degree weather.

That's about what i was gonna say. I run the TR6s most of the time in my car for the nitrous. I used them ALL last winter and never had a problem. They are an excellent plug cold or hot... at least for me they are.

The reason my car stalled so many times is it was relearning the tune (I have the battery disconnected for the winter while the car sits) so the first 100km with the car is brutal. Before I put it into storage when the weather got cold I had noticed the car was idling rougher than usual. I also had the same issue last winter when I had the 42lbers in my other 3L but not as bad as having the TR6s in it. I would deal with it because there is no way I'm going to be switching between the two.

Aaron

Again:
MOTORCRAFT

PART# / HEAT RANGE
AWSF-32C / stock heat range - copper plug
AWSF-22C / 1 Heat range colder - copper plug
AWSFA-12C / 2 Hea range cooler - copper plug
AGSF-32C/ Recommended for FRPP heads(not sure on heat range)

NGK

PART# / HEAT RANGE
TR-55/ 3951/ Stock Heat Range
TR-6/ 4177/ 1 Step Colder
BP7EFS (PN - 3526) BR7EF (PN - 3346) two steps
R5724-8 (PN - 7317) two and a half steps
R5724-9 (PN - 7891) three steps
R5724-10 (PN - 7993) four steps

AUTOLITE

PART# / HEAT RANGE
764s / Stock
AR103 / 1 heat range cooler
AR94 / 2 heat range cooler
AR93 / 3 heat range cooler
AR92 / 4 heat range cooler

i had TR-7 plugs in my car for the 100 shot. dealers told me that the plug didnt exsist, but at the time i worked for a snowmobile racer that was sponsored by NGK so i contacted their sponsorship guy and he sent me out two sets. they exsist and the car ran great with them. however, i have an aftermarket ignition which might have made the plugs perform just well enough in the winter. i wouldnt suggest it for any normal driving or small nitrous shots.

the TR55's are in my 3L now. they seem just fine ;)

(for future reference, most company's use a lower number heat range as a colder plug. NGK doesnt do this because stupid people buy hotter plugs thinking they will enhance performance but only make the engine detonate)

i had TR-7 plugs in my car for the 100 shot. dealers told me that the plug didnt exsist, but at the time i worked for a snowmobile racer that was sponsored by NGK so i contacted their sponsorship guy and he sent me out two sets. they exsist and the car ran great with them. however, i have an aftermarket ignition which might have made the plugs perform just well enough in the winter. i wouldnt suggest it for any normal driving or small nitrous shots.

the TR55's are in my 3L now. they seem just fine ;)

(for future reference, most company's use a lower number heat range as a colder plug. NGK doesnt do this because stupid people buy hotter plugs thinking they will enhance performance but only make the engine detonate)

I have some TR7's in my tool box right now. Next time i get my bottle filled i was going to use them with a 125/150 shot. The TR6 worked fine for me but i had a slight detonation problem with the 125 shot with them. I have quite a bit of timing pulled already so i was going to try a colder plug.

Back