• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New wheels

dennyb

Veteran CEG'er
Found some Enki EVO 6 rims with snow tires on Craigslist. Drove from Grand Rapids to Wheeler to pickup today. Pretty big road trip.
So far not impressed with Hankook snow tires.

attachment.php

Attachments

• rsz_0125131200..jpg
    rsz_0125131200..jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 0
I've run studded Hankook Winter I-Pikes, and had good luck with them. What kind of Hankooks are those?
Nice wheels!

I don;t think Michigan allows studs. But, one site listed rubber studs are ok in MI.

The tires on the rims are Hankook Winter I-pike size 205/50/17 with 5-32 tread depth.

I have the ABS activate when I stop quickly with the Hankook. The Kelly navigator Gold tires on my stock SVT wheels feel much better in the snow and diddn't activate the ABS either.

I don;t think Michigan allows studs. But, one site listed rubber studs are ok in MI.

The tires on the rims are Hankook Winter I-pike size 205/50/17 with 5-32 tread depth.

I have the ABS activate when I stop quickly with the Hankook. The Kelly navigator Gold tires on my stock SVT wheels feel much better in the snow and diddn't activate the ABS either.

5/32 is worn out for a snow tire, pretty much 6/32 depth and you run out of snow/ice capabilities. most all season tires are worn out at 4/32 and legally worn out at 2/32nds. I believe the I pike has a stock tread depth of 12/32nds. I run them on my daily drivers and really like them and never had any issues but anyways @ 5/32nds I'm not suprised you are having issues even blizzaks would at a low tread depth.

They drove pretty good today. Temps in the 50's and all the snow melted. Only rain today/ Thursday temps back into the 20's with snow.
I realized they were worn out for snow tires. I plan on running them this summer to finish them off. Just that I have General altimax artic tires on my wifes mazda3 (German made). They have been on for three winters with her conservative driving. I don't know how many miles are on these but, I'll buy more German made over Korean tires any day.

The Altimax Arctics are almost identical tread pattern to the I-pikes. The only difference is one extra space in the tread block. I'm not sure if the compounds are different, but I did have better traction with the Generals over the Hankooks also (and they were cheaper).

Back