• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New stablemate for the SVT!

alien_yet_familiar

Hard-core CEG'er
**Edit** More pictures added, post #17.

Some of you know that I have been (not so) patiently waiting since late January for Ford to build my Focus ST. I ordered it January 26th, and took delivery last Friday, March 22. I took a few quick pictures this weekend before my appointment for tinting and clear bra application this morning. I will have the car back tomorrow morning, and plan to get some better pics then.

I opted for the ST3 package with a moonroof. The ST3 package adds things like full leather heated Recaro seats, heated mirrors, HID headlamps, exterior LED accent lighting, ambient interior lighting, navigation, upgraded Sony stereo with sub, etc. I paid $28,500 total, including a Ford PremiumCare 7 year/125,000 mile extended warranty. It is my very first NEW car ever. It was my graduation gift to myself.

So far I've got about 300 miles on it, up from 35 at delivery. I could develop a serious addiction to this car. It is almost unbelievably nimble, and the power is great. I don't feel any body roll at all - it feels like it's completely flat and planted in every turn I've thrown at it so far. The turbo lag is almost nonexistent, and the torque is noticeable and smooth. The suspension is a bit firmer than my SVT (with full BAT kit) but not harsh at all. The seats are very supportive, and the leather is of pretty good quality. The shifter feels good. The steering is quick, and has a good solid feel. The steering wheel has great leather on it, and has a bit of give when you squeeze it. The HID headlights are very attractive, especially with the LED strip, and they put out great light. It's got cool turning lamps that activate when you turn the wheel at low speeds to illuminate curbs and corners. I'm still getting used to My Ford Touch and Sync. The stereo sounds pretty good - not shake your teeth out thumpy, but it has good depth. The tires are a little noisier than I'm used to, and they're a summer-only compound, so I haven't gotten too crazy with them yet.

I'm planning on modifying several things - some quickly, and some over a longer term. I have a rear motor mount from an E-Focus ready to go it, along with different fog light bulbs and a Green filter. I would like the exhaust to be a bit more aggressive - it's much quieter than I'm used to. I might install a short-shifter kit with upgraded bushings. There is a larger FMIC available, which along with a downpipe, CAI, and turbo-back exhaust upgrades power to 266 hp/335 tq at the wheels - that's on my list for the long-term.

I spent about three hours yesterday washing, clay-barring, and detailing, but didn't take any pictures afterward because it was freezing and almost dark. I will take some tomorrow when I get it picked up from the tint shop. These pictures are not great - taken with my cell phone on the first day, after a quick spray-down but with no wax.

2013-03-22_16-48-38_51_zps85908fa1.jpg

2013-03-23_15-40-54_559_zps2e240fb0.jpg

2013-03-23_15-40-22_48_zps945f9291.jpg

2013-03-23_15-35-38_201_zps7db0a556.jpg

2013-03-23_15-35-17_247_zps90fad3a6.jpg

2013-03-22_16-48-01_95_zpsdbb82b48.jpg

2013-03-22_16-48-08_213_zps4b812ce8.jpg

2013-03-23_15-37-39_877_zps27192ce8.jpg

I will post up more pictures when I've got her back tomorrow!
2013-03-22_16-48-38_51_zps85908fa1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! I've heard good things about the ST. I'm highly considering getting a Tangerine Scream ST with the ST3 package as my next car. I'm not quite ready to give up the SVT yet though. Plus I'd like to upgrade my house to a house that has at least a 2 car garage. Right now the 2013 Escape takes priority.

BTW, I learned today that to remove the stock exhaust you have to cut it out. Either that or drop the rear suspension.

We have the exact same colored cars. :) And almost the same HP! But sadly, you win everything else..... :(

I would have a hard time letting go of the SVT, but luckily for me, I can keep it. I got rid of one, and regretted it almost instantly. I'm not going to make that mistake again.

However, the ST really makes the SVT feel its age. I drove the SVT today while the ST is getting tinted, and the difference is SO noticeable. The ST truly feels like the faster, more powerful, tighter-handling descendent of the SVT. They really did well in designing the car overall. There are things that I want to add and upgrade, of course - but that's just my crazy car-geekiness taking over. :)

As an added bonus, the insurance is really reasonable. I have full comprehensive and collision coverage on both cars with a $500 deductible and pay $140/month.

As an added bonus, the insurance is really reasonable. I have full comprehensive and collision coverage on both cars with a $500 deductible and pay $140/month.

Yikes. That is what we are paying for a 2011 Fusion V6 and an 07 Pilot....roughly the same coverage. Then again, you do have a BRAND new car...rates are always higher with those. And do you think we can trade seats? Please?

Yeah I know. I still think that is fairly high considering the other one is a 15 year old car valued at like $4K.

Yeah I know. I still think that is fairly high considering the other one is a 15 year old car valued at like $4K.

The SVT's monthly rate is about $60 - but I do have full collision and comprehensive coverage on it. Montana has ridiculously high insurance rates for a few reasons. Wildlife vs. vehicle incidents are very common, we have a LOT of highway, and we have numerous large reservations. If you own a vehicle that is operated solely on the reservation, insurance is not legally required. It still will be required by a lender for a vehicle with a lien against it, but for something that's paid off, no insurance required. It's pretty common for those folks who live on the reservations to not have insurance at all, even though they drive on non-reservation roads. There is a lot of poverty, and insurance for some is a luxury that just isn't affordable. We have a lot of people without insurance here.

I've got just under 500 miles on it, and the computer is reading 27.5 mpg for this tank. The first tank average read 23.7 mpg, but there was a LOT of idling on that tank by the dealership. Calculating the mileage manually is resulting in very similar numbers, so I'll likely trust the computer unless I see a bit dip in the miles per tank.

I drive about 33 miles each way to work, and it consists of 15 miles of 70 mph 2-lane highway, 15 miles of 75 mph 4-lane highway, and 3-ish miles of in town 25-35 mph city streets with quite a few stoplights.

The manual says not to bother calculating mileage for the first 1000 miles, because it will be lower than usual. I'm pretty consistent about calculating mileage, so I will definitely keep tabs on it. However, I will be very happy with an overall 27 mpg - that's about what I get in the SVT, and I commuted in it for several years. There have been some complaints about the small gas tank limiting the range, but 300-330 is the range I'm used to in the SVT as well.

Back