• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Paint Job--Advice For Place?

Nerawkas

CEG'er
so today i drove around looking for some estimates on getting a new paint job on my car, i want to change the color from tan to black. so i drove to a couple of auto shops looking for quotes and im getting like $600 for a repaint and $6,000 for a whole new paint job. i just want to know if these estimates are correct, and if not, where would be a good place to get a new paint job? also, do i need to notify the DMV when i change the cars color?

$6K sounds a little on the high side. I think most people have paid $4-5K. What all does that include? Door jams, under the hood, etc? Black is one of the cheapest colors to paint a car as well.

$600 to repaint the whole car the same color? If thats the case, then that really doesn't make sense. A complete repaint of the car regardless whether its the same color or black should not have a $5500 price difference.

I can you the name of a place in IN or KY, but that won't do you any good.

I would assume you would need to notify the DMV.

I have a buddy that does profesional auto painting....I had asked him awhile back about the same thing. He said to strip from one color and paint the car a total different color would be every bit of 4500-6500 depending on the color. He said repainting it with the original color should only cost between 500-700.

maaco!!!:shrug: what,its a 10 year old SE. if you find the right macco and get the right paint job some macco's actually do decent work(for the money)

Maaco will get the job done, I took my car to a place very similar. The problem with them is that their employees are not the best. I found thumb prints on my hood, under the clear coat. Took it back and had them respray it. Two weeks later I spotted pitting all over my spoiler. :shrug:

For my two rear quarters, spoiler, and hood it cost me $800- obviously no door jambs, etc. Have the car completely resprayed because you can completely tell the difference between OEM and respray on different areas of the car.

Just my .02

Back