• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New intake thread

ah yeah come over tomorrow or friday and we'll do it!

kyle i won't need your heat shield. sorry. i have this setup i'm trying and i also found a 04 lightning airbox that is the same as the 2002 so i can make a box like cgumm did.

come chill with me this weekend and work on your car with me. we should be able to get a few things done.

I'm stupid busy getting my Bronco ready for Memorial weekend - so I've got no time even for the GF right now. I've spent 3K in 3 weeks on this and I'm determined to get this done - so until then I'm going non stop to finish. I'm running into problems and waiting on parts - so I'm already a week behind :nonono: As soon as I've got time man - I'll let you know.

cool. can i come check it out next time your working on it? i promise not to slow you down with too much talking :D

Needs to be thrown right into what they are made of.... GARBAGE CAN! Looks like poop if you asked me.

Function over fashion blabberouth! :laugh:
That car whooped all of your Contours when we visited your neck of the woods! :cool:

Last edited:
I found the correct air box i wanted. i'm going to get a K&N drop in for it.

i had to trim the end to open the hole up and i still need the stock piece that goes into the fender from the SVT i dont know what i did with mine but it should meet up very nice and clean. it barely clears the hood i did have to trim a few things on it but its all in one piece and looks nice. i found a 75mm maf off an old 3.8 minivan that had no center shaft and is made of plastic. i put my sensor in it and it works good. the wires are exposed and there is no "tube' leading to the wires, but after about five miles of driving it adjusted itself back to normal idle, wot, tip in, etc (i have a wideband)

so the plastic 75mm i found is the same size as the pro-flow. I matched that up to the Explorer 4.0 airbox i found the only thing i had to do was take the maf enclosure that is used on the truck and cut a ring off of it to install as a retainer to keep the box from pulling out of the clamp that holds the maf/adaptor to the airbox.

it looks stock but its at least a size bigger. Engine bay sound went way down, which is what i wanted because i have enough sound from my loud a#$ exhaust! the engine bay noise went down so much that it sounds beautiful now. I still need that piece so the air is being pulled 100% from the fender though.

oh and i found a 2004 lightning airbox like i may have mentioned its gonna cost me 40 bucks. i'm gonna do a dyno comparison and maybe mike (CSVT#49) can help me do a "intake test" wiht the airbox style vs. cone filter+maf adaptor vs. Upsized airbox vs. true CAI. if he helped me datalog i could get you differences in IAT, and dyno pulls (i'll have to schedule an hour to do this at the shop, i can't get that much time tomorrow)

One note.. If you are trying to do a dyno comparison between airboxes the one problem with the CICAB is the car needs to be moving to get the cowl inducted effect. As the car moves it creates a high pressure area at the base of the windshield and that high pressure air is forced into the cowl area for the feed to the airbox. On a dyno stand that benefit cannot be utilized to its potential. I read your article on your setup, can we see pictures.

i received my 2004 lightning airbox... but i like it too much. i'm gonna make the whole thing fit i think. more to come. will be finished tomorrow, gotta relocate battery though.

got the airbox in. no cutting required. obviously i had to reduce the coupling down for the 90mm maf but i got it all working. idles good, i'm going to drive it now. i have the stock SVT maf sensor in it so it should do fine, as ive put the maf in different housings and it always ran fine and had good a/f. i relocated my battery to the trunk. i ran 4 guage "power distribution wire" from ultimate electronics and used the stock batt. tie down to hold it down with all thread rod and proper flanged fittings so it is mounted solid. i ran the power wire to a rockford fosgate power distribution block and ran everything off that. the only thing going back to the battery is the main power wire, the ground is just bolted to the trunk with a new stock ground strap. is this correct? its an optmia red top so i dont have to worry about fumes etc. pics coming tomorrow

Back