• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Center Console...

ACTUALLY...he's wrong, too. My turn to freak out on him :laugh: Cougar center console and Pre-98 Mystique center console are identical. I dunno why Ford decided to place the 2nd radio slot for the Contour in the console, but everyone else has it in the dash. Pre-98 Mystiques and Cougars center console pieces end above the ash tray.

I'm talking about the console, not the dash. To the untrained eye they look the same. Reading > you.

I'm talking about the console, not the dash. To the untrained eye they look the same. Reading > you.

Reading > you, actually. I am also talking about the console. The 95-98 Mystique and the 99-00 Cougar use the same exact center console. In 2001, however, the Cougar got an "updated" one that is still interchangeable with the Mystique, however, IMO, it's not as nice (no more upholstered armrest). Have I made myself clear?

you guys crack me up! yes the console is a pre98 and unfortunately i have thought about the problem of spillage on the HU but i have a very aggressive driving style and i tested the things extensively... :D almost anything that will fit in that cupholder will stay in that cupholder even with some very spirited driving. i couldnt believe it.

Tony you were my inspiration for putting the radio in the lower console din. then i found on here somewhere that yes the older gen taurus cupholder set fits in without hassle. this whole setup cost me less than $20 as is and will total less than $25 once painted and looking stunning like Tony's.

I am waiting to paint it till the spring when it is warm outside and can do it in the garage without freezing my a$$ off. no heater...:(

oddly enough yes the HU is accessible while the cupholders are in use. however the HVAC is almost nowhere to be found lol. i will take a loaded pic. and if at anytime the HU is not accessible i have a secret weapon hiding under the ebrake that obviously no one noticed

338823_53_full.jpg

here are the loaded pics. the only thing that is a little annoying is when you take your hand off the steering wheel and put it on the shifter the cupholder gets in the way a little bit but i got over that really fast as the cupholders work awesomely.

and yes i have driven aggressively like this and no movement. but where is he HVAC? lol

338823_54_full.jpg

and the coin holder. i have found great use out of this for my bluetooth headset.

338823_55_full.jpg

sorry if grammar sucks its late and im tired and about to go to bed.

Would it be feasible to cut into the dash and move the HVAC below the cupholders? I suppose that would be a lot of work for very little gain, but the switches would be more accessible perhaps.

Seems like I remember someone moving the HVAC controls down next to the handbrake awhile back.

oh I see looks like everything went back to to the dash, wonder how much of a pita it is to move the hvac controls down to the ebrake handle?

oh I see looks like everything went back to to the dash, wonder how much of a pita it is to move the hvac controls down to the ebrake handle?

not very difficult just a matter of extending the wiring harness

and vacuum lines too?

Personally I hate how cup holders in the dash cover everything up when in use like that. I'd also be nervous about spilling on electronics. There is always drinking going on in my car and I don't think I could live without my upgraded 98+ cupholders no matter how much I love the pre98 console look. I can put cans, bottles, fast food cups of any size, etc in there without a problem!

i think i remember steeda saying that the original wiring harness was just barely long enough so he didnt have to extend it. i could be wrong, but i definitely remember something like that

Back