• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

needing help on 3l swap

Contourboy137

Be Gentle I'm New Here
i bought a 1998 contour svt a few weeks back for $600 had a knock in the engine. i had it insured and planned to drive it until the noise got worse and it did. Im going to remove the oil pan in a few weeks and see what the damage is (theres no metal in the oil) if all it needs is a wrist pin i will fix it but if not im doing a 3l swap.
do i have to do and cutting/ grinding, etc.. to do a 3l swap. and advice you guys would have to help me out would be great both pulling the old engine a putting the 3.0 in
Thankyou

Sounds like you want how to do it, not help. Use the search button, stickys and start reading. Multiple options for a swap.

The amount of cutting and bringing depends on which way you go. Ported 3l you have to grind/cut the heads along with the tabs where the alternator bracket goes and which way you decide to remove the pilot bushing. Full 3l you don't need to do anything with the heads. Their is allot of information here on the forum just search.

Generally, you'll want to get a custom dyno tune ($500) but it's almost required on the full 3L swap. The full 3L will require you to re-route vacuum lines, custom EGR or delete, custom throttle bracket, wire extending (TPS), custom fuel rail/adapters, block mods, mount mods, etc. The ported 3L build can run without a tune. Your mpg will be lower and you'll be missing out on some hp but you can drive it daily without issues. The ported 3L requires port matching and porting plates to cover the old 3L injector spots plus the normal block/mount mods. In this setup you move your 2.5L intakes over and keep all the stock connections so it looks stock vs. the full 3L that uses the 3L intakes.

The engine and build you select will change what you have to do. Different year 3L's can change what you have to do.

...I bought my motor from 3L Duratec..I don't know what you are trying spend on your build, but they're good guys. I got a motor that came ready...Port Matched, and it runs strong. I even had to email them a few times and they/he didn't hesitate to help me out. If you can pull one from a local salvage yard, and do the work, it would definitely save you money....but not time.

Back