• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

need some help with overheating

alright, well i put the relays back in and unplugged the ECT sensor and sat there for about 8mins and nothing, no CEL and no fan spinning.
So i plugged the sensor back in, and started it back up. 20mins later and still down all the way in the cold area. The radiator hoses are hot to touch, in fact very hot.

I still have incredibly hot heat comming from vents so i doubt it's waterpump, and a/c kinda worked when i first started but as the car got warmer the a/c kinda died since the fans are spinning. It still kicks the clutch in and out on the a/c and the rpms jump around 200-300 rpms.

So what else could be causing the fans to not come on and spin?
I thought about just flushing the system and new t-stat due to how how the hoses are getting but i'm sure it's because the fans are spinning.

Please guys i need help

have your tried how wiring your fans ,atleat the low speed so its on all the time? just so it's driveable?i wouldnt even run it at this point. your just going to cause more damage than good. maybe pick up one of those hayden fans from adavanced auto/autozone..i had one in my supercoupe over the summer..worked fine:shrug:

well i really don't want to have to hardwire the fan, because i'd prefer to just fix the problem and it be over with. Can anybody help me or does nobody know how to fix this?

anybody have any suggestions? anything would help.
Should i replace that a/c pressure switch? i'm lost, i need the fans to spin

You said no fans when ECT sender unplugged? They should run on high! The relays both clicked with 9V battery, they are probably OK. The fans run if jumpered so power is available to them. The on signal from the ECU is missing, that is what to check next. (The temp gauge sender may be unplugged as well, if your gauge reads Cold.)

correct no fans when i unplugged it. and relays did click, and fan run when jumped. And i checked the gauge sender and it's plugged in. But guess i can just replace it as well just because. So i have to use a ODB2 scanner to check the ecu signal i take it?

I know autozone has odb2 scanner they used it on my old yukon.
So when i go in there what am I needing to know

oh yea, posted this in the NW section and well aussie brought up the idea of the fuse for the fans, while i totally didn't think about cause i was thinking relay is fine so no fuse. But is there a fuse for the fans?

Yes, there is. It is providing power to the fans when you jump the relay. See if there is 12V on one pin of the "small pins" of each fan relay socket when the car is on but don't let it run long. That is power to the relay coils so they click on. If mising, check wiring of relay box. If present, check wiring to from relay box to computer. OBD2 scanner is correct, hope you find a bad wire so you can fix it.

Last edited:
so i need to use a multimeter, and check for power in the small pin slot when the relay is removed? is the fuse built into the relay? or is there a seperate fuse in the fuse box.

If there is 12v power i need to use a odb2 scanner, if there is no power replace fuse i assume and start from the beginning to see if fans turn on

is the fuse built into the relay? or is there a seperate fuse in the fuse box.

you have a fuse (60amp, yellow) in the same power distribution box. if you look above the two relays you will see three big fuses which you cant pull out. the one in the middle is for your fans...iirc

well im at work right now, but i know there was a yellow one just like the two relays for the fans, right next to it.

but i'll look at it when i get a chance to swing by my house. and are do the fuses have a bolt through them that i can remove to pull them?

A new thought that may help, your 60A fuse is OK

A new thought that may help, your 60A fuse is OK

You could have poor contact or wiring if the 12Volts is missing from the small relay pins. Its power source is the PCM relay K163, check that: Aslo, check owner's manual for relay layout (www.fleet.ford.com if you need it, click Maintenance Tab.)

V6Fan.gif

Last edited:
you have a fuse (60amp, yellow) in the same power distribution box. if you look above the two relays you will see three big fuses which you cant pull out. the one in the middle is for your fans...iirc

number 49 is for the cooling system and it's yellow and 60amp, and is easily removable just like any other normal fuse. they all are

incase it makes any difference this is what my fuse box looks like. All the fuses are good. I'm going to try and see if i can get a 12v signal in the small pin spot going to the relays.
0521081817uk7.jpg

alright, pulled the high and low relays. and started it up, while on the side of the car (driver side) i tested the left side small pin, and was pulling 12-14vs
so the relay is getting power.

So i guess the next is to unplug the fan wiring from the harness and run a piece of wire to the plug and see if the wiring is bad? any other ideas?

dont know why but your fuse box looks completely different from mine. is this picture showing the fuse box next to your battery? my 60AMP fuse and the two next to it are all packed together and there is a tab on towards the front of the car. it will let you lift up the fuses, and then you will see small screws at the bottom. but i guess you dont have these... i dunno what to tell ya about that.

Back