• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need production date so i can buy my brakes

contourgl95

CEG'er
Hey guys i hope someone can help me out here im trying to buy brakes for the svt and they said i need to know when it was built because of there was i guess a change in the brake pads??

My vin is 1FAFP68G8XK161064

Can anyone help me out??

any help is greatl appreciated!!

The production date isn't going to help much, as the catalogs are all wrong, undoubtedly due to incorrect information from Ford.

You can find the production date on the door VIN plate. It will tell you month and year, but not the actual day.

The early 98 SVT (E0) had larger calipers with pads that covered more of the rotor toward the hub. Sometime later Ford changed to the same pads and calipers that were used on the non-SVT. The date of the change is fuzzy. I personally believe that it was part of the change from the early SVT to the 1998 E1 SVT, which was the first production day of February 1998. Most catalogs show the date as May 1999 and that is flat wrong.

There is a good discussion about the difference, with illustrations, in the BAT catalog ( www.batinc.net ). Pay attention to the amount of rotor covered by the pad and on the shape of the "ears" on the pad backing plate. Identify which one you have before you try to buy something and confirm the correct configuration before you buy, or you may need to return part way through the project.

the batinc catalog has those templates in there, you can print the page, cut the template out and match it up to your pads

Back