• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need new calipers, ADVICE??

Seems like one of my front and a rear caliper needs to be changed. I have checked different part stores and online stores. There seems to be a lot options, NAPA, Raybestos, Motorcraft, A-1 Cardone, Nastra, Bendix, Wagner, ACDelco. Has anyone tried any of these brands and what was the experience. Any recommendations will be great. Thanks

What kind of contour you have? I have a set of front calipers I need to get rid of off of a 2000 svt. I got the mounting brackets too if you have an se. Pm me if you want em.

I have a 99 svt. I replaced my pads about a year ago and the seals looked in good condition, but now the calipers seem to be failing. I was looking at motorcraft and might end up buying them but just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with the other brands as they are still viable options. thanks

Got a cardone unit on my left rear, works fine. FYI, Napa and Advance Auto use the EXACT same company for their remans but Napa charges a ••••load more money for no reason. Motorcraft is good, or you can just buy a set off of here. Plenty of E1 calipers running around.

You should have put this in the Brake section of the forums btw...

Thanks for the imput Scotty. I didnt know napa and advance used the same supplier. I am looking for new calipers near the factory specs but for a little less so that i can use the savings on other mods. Since I thought it was a maintenance issue i posted it here. But the brakes section does sound good. Thanks to all who replied.

Lots of guys who rebuild OEM calipers on here. I forget off the top of my head but search around. If you do go with the autozone/advance brand then make damn sure you inspect all the seals and hardware at the counter before you take them. I had to return TWO rear calipers because of torn seals or a single piece of missing hardware. Great how they are not a normally stocked item at advance either...

I get my reman calipers from Undercar Express, a couple of the local parts stores carry them around me. They couldnt get me E0 calipers so they took mine and rebuilt them and sent them back. Local company in Cleveland Ohio too, the fronts were real cheap I just paid $140 for bother rear calipers, brackets, and pads.

http://www.ucx.com/

What is failing on the caliper? O-ring leaking? Dust boot ripped? Caliper pins not sliding? Ebrake mechanism not functioning? I can powder coat a full set which includes the teardown/cleaning/and rebuilding with original seals/boots for $200 plus shipping. Most calipers just need a simple cleaning to get them working again, there isn't much that can go wrong with them honestly.

What is failing on the caliper? O-ring leaking? Dust boot ripped? Caliper pins not sliding? Ebrake mechanism not functioning? I can powder coat a full set which includes the teardown/cleaning/and rebuilding with original seals/boots for $160 plus shipping. Most calipers just need a simple cleaning to get them working again, there isn't much that can go wrong with them honestly.

Joe, the calipers on the 2000 CSVT I just bought look like crap! (178K daily driver in Cleveland,OH!) I assume if I would like you to powder coat/rebuild them,
all I would need to do is remove all 4, ship them to your shop, and presto-chango you would make them look like the gold Ford ones on your site?! They look just like brand new NOS calipers, which is EXACTLY what I'm looking for! :) The above info states $160, but it looks like your site info adds up to $220 when you include the $15/caliper for the rebuilding part.
Let me know what the total $ would be, and also what your normal turnaround time is.
Thanks!
Jeff Parker
Columbus, Ohio
jjparker1@wowway.com

Huh..... wierd - I'm not sure why I wrote $160 but because you caught it, I have to honor it. I have a lot to do right now and I suspect that I could get to them in the beginning of May and you should have them back in less than 2 weeks. April/May is a bad time for coating because I am trying to get all my things done for SZ just like everyone else :laugh:.

I fixed my price on the powder coating page too. I wanted the total to be $200 with the teardown/coating/rebuild. Then the owner has to pay for return shipping.

$10 for each caliper bracket ($40 total)
$25 for each caliper body (Add $15 pr caliper for teardown and rebuild with original seals) ($160 total)

Huh..... wierd - I'm not sure why I wrote $160 but because you caught it, I have to honor it. I have a lot to do right now and I suspect that I could get to them in the beginning of May and you should have them back in less than 2 weeks. April/May is a bad time for coating because I am trying to get all my things done for SZ just like everyone else :laugh:.

I fixed my price on the powder coating page too. I wanted the total to be $200 with the teardown/coating/rebuild. Then the owner has to pay for return shipping.

$10 for each caliper bracket ($40 total)
$25 for each caliper body (Add $15 pr caliper for teardown and rebuild with original seals) ($160 total)

Thats cheap for the amount of labor involved, go with Joe or spend the extra coin on a brake upgrade to bigger units.

Well like I said I got E1 fronts for $60 shipped to your door with brackets. So if you can't find anything let me know...they are both OEM and have less than 100K on them

Back