• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Nautilus CAI Installation Question

mrspindlelegs

CEG'er
I've done a fairly thorough search of the forums and haven't found the answer to the following question:

Why doesn't the NPG CAI MAF Adapter mount flush with the MAF?

If I leave the factory rubber gasket on the MAF, I don't see how the MAF adapter will ever seat properly. Quick dial caliper measurements show that the aluminum shoulder underneath the gasket is wider than the opening on the MAF adapter. The only conclusions I can draw are:

1. The MAF adapter I received is incorrectly made (should have a much wider opening to mate properly with the MAF).

2. There should be another adapter/spacer that also functions as a gasket that goes between the MAF and the MAF Adapter. The picture of the kit on the NPG website does not show this so I don't place much weight on this possibility.

3. Everybody has been removing the rubber gasket and having that aluminum shoulder machined off so that the MAF and the MAF Adapter mount flush to each other. Pictures of other peoples NPG CAI installations show flush mountings which seems to support this supposition.

I don't want to start butchering my MAF if it turns out that this isn't necessary.

Your thoughts?

I've done a fairly thorough search of the forums and haven't found the answer to the following question:

Why doesn't the NPG CAI MAF Adapter mount flush with the MAF?

If I leave the factory rubber gasket on the MAF, I don't see how the MAF adapter will ever seat properly. Quick dial caliper measurements show that the aluminum shoulder underneath the gasket is wider than the opening on the MAF adapter. The only conclusions I can draw are:

1. The MAF adapter I received is incorrectly made (should have a much wider opening to mate properly with the MAF).

2. There should be another adapter/spacer that also functions as a gasket that goes between the MAF and the MAF Adapter. The picture of the kit on the NPG website does not show this so I don't place much weight on this possibility.

3. Everybody has been removing the rubber gasket and having that aluminum shoulder machined off so that the MAF and the MAF Adapter mount flush to each other. Pictures of other peoples NPG CAI installations show flush mountings which seems to support this supposition.

I don't want to start butchering my MAF if it turns out that this isn't necessary.

Your thoughts?

Throw up some pictures...i'm starting to think the parts you have in your possession are incorrect.

Throw up some pictures...i'm starting to think the parts you have in your possession are incorrect.

Harry,

Looks like we can all ignore my original post. I was 100% incorrect about "flush mounting problem". When I separated the MAF from the factory adapter/mount, the rubber gasket + screen were stuck very tightly to the MAF. The rubber gasket was very resistant to removal and I was worried about destroying it in the removal process. When the rubber gasket was slightly peeled back, I could see the outer metal ring portion of the screen assembly and mistakenly thought I was looking at a machined lip that was part of the MAF housing. Well, I got fed up and started working harder at removing the rubber gasket. Once ~ 50% of the gasket was loosened, the screen popped right off to reveal a flush machined face on the MAF. Oh well.

Let the floggings with a wet noodle begin!

Back