• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mysterious Zetec unconnected wire harness

Scorpion8

Hard-core CEG'er
So I was poking around under the hood of my GL today, checking the fluids and such, and right next to the windshield washer filler neck are two electrical connectors -- a 4-wire square harness that goes to the A/C line that runs along the body panel (connected), and a 2-pin connector with a black wire and a white w/green stripe wire. This one was stuffed out of the way until I was wiping off road dust and then noticed it. It's not connected to anything, and I don't see anything within reach that remotely looks like it would connect up. This has one of those squared-wire retainers similar to many others, and it's not the depress-latch style.

I only have one boo-boo on my guage cluster (air bag warning light) mentioned in another thread, no CELs, and no real issues that would appear to be caused by something like this.

Anybody with experience on these possibly know what this connector should go to, where the other end might be, and do I need it?

Thanks.

Here ya go.... this is the "mysterious" harness. I have it propped up on the windshield washer filler neck in one shot, and hanging down in the other. As shown, it's a black wire and white w/green line 2-wire harness of the Square-connector type. I see nothing "out in the open" that it matches up with, and it comes out of the wire run at the same point as the a/c pressure sensor 4-wire harness.

Any ideas? I looked over the electrical diagrams, and the only two I found using a WHT/GRN wire is the engine temperature coolant temp sensor (already connected elsewhere) and a transmission switch that tells the ECU what gear you're in. Huh?

SDC10173.jpg

SDC10175.jpg

Thats for the connector for the coolant level sensor. its not connected as the Zetec coolant reservoir doesnt have the sensor built in.

Thats for the connector for the coolant level sensor. its not connected as the Zetec coolant reservoir doesnt have the sensor built in.

Thanks. I'll label it as such and stick it away somewhere. Gawd, I hate inane little stuff like that.

I wrapped mine with a annotated label tape, and then covered it with a taped Baggie and stuffed it under the coolant tank.

yep it would. Im getting both an svt raditator for my cooling needs and the tank for the hose. :cool: works out great for me

So get a coolant bottle from a V6 and install it then you can connect it....:laugh:

Yea, an "upgrade" I don't need. My Zetec is running fine and after hooking that up I'd probably get 85 CEL codes that summarize to "sacrifice a live chicken while dancing naked but only at midnight on the 6th Sunday in June or the engine will self destruct in 10....9......8.......7....."

i put a duratec coolant tank in my zetec as I already had an aftermarket radiator that had the fitting for the second hose. I plugged the sensor in but it doesn't work the light on the dash .... but I don't recall if there is a light there or not ....

i put a duratec coolant tank in my zetec as I already had an aftermarket radiator that had the fitting for the second hose. I plugged the sensor in but it doesn't work the light on the dash .... but I don't recall if there is a light there or not ....

Ya I guess that is the rest of the story ..... one has to have a bulb in place too, I don't know why things have to be so fussy with these cars like having something on each end of a wiring harness..... go figure! :laugh:

Ya I guess that is the rest of the story ..... one has to have a bulb in place too, I don't know why things have to be so fussy with these cars like having something on each end of a wiring harness..... go figure! :laugh:

well I seem to recall putting a bulb there years ago when I changed one of the other lights, but i don't recall now. guess I have to check....but one would figure with the harness and correct tank, sensor and a bulb in the dash it should work ....

from past car experiences on a saturn i seen some similar wires and connectors and called the dealer and brought the car in and they told me that when the cars are being biult they are pre-wired for all options and some are just not used based on - - -options, different engines, trannys, stereo systems,,etc... depending on where the wire is, prob same story on these cars... anyone else ever heard of that???

Not so at Ford

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

I own a shop, and can tell you this; Some are, and some may not be. The easy way to tell is to look at the wiring harness, and see if there are any pigtails that are there. Most vehicles used the same harness due to customers ordering options on a vehicle that was already in stock. By looking at the harness that's in the vehicle, you can determine if it has plugs for stuff that don't seem to be there, as in it may lead someone to think something is unplugged. You can purchase a Haynes repair manual for your particular vehicle, and in the very back pages is the wiring diagram for these systems. If you are hooking in a system that only requires a power supply and a ground wire, then there may not be a hook up in the harness as this is considered a simple hook up. Purchase a book, or go to the library and look at one for free, and then look at your vehicle to see if the wires are there. If something requires a relay, you may notice there is a spot in the fuse box for this relay, but its not there. Most all vehicles has wires that seem to go to nowhere, so I wouldn't think yours would be an exception. A book on your vehicle would be all the help in the world, as it is a must for even an experience mechanic. Some jobs can get dangerous, and it is best to be informed of these dangers before you attempt installing any system in your vehicle. I would go to the dealer (parts department) and have a sit down with them. A good discussion on having these installed in your vehicle by them would be beneficial.
Glad to help out, Good Luck!!!
  • 1 year ago
Source(s):

Certified Master Mechanic, Shop Owner, 40 yrs. experience

other sources say its so.... everyone is an expert..... i say call the dealer and ask them or do as this guy said and get a manual on the car, but yes some cars by all manufacts are pre-wired for options they may not have, from multiple sources i researched last night

i may be wrong but i found multiple other sites including a ford forum and they talk about ford were pre-wired... each model and year was different.. i think they are connectors for a sensor for the v6 and have nothing to do with the 4cyl... and you can change that and could add the v6 sensor with mild swap of few parts but why? why waste time on a mod of that nature? just my opinion

Back