• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My Winter Car..DOH!

Goonz SVT

Hard-core CEG'er
okay so no winter car, no contour..sorry guys..

I decided to bite the bullet a few weeks ago and buy snow tires for my G. All that non-sense on RWD being terrible in the winter and what not, I decided to try my luck with Blizzaks from tirerack along with wheels. I obv. needed to downgrade my wheel size from stock 19" to 17". These past few weeks here in New England have been absolute hell! PERFECT time to see how these blizzaks worked out. So far under blizzard conditions and ice conditions, im proud to say that I never once lost control of the car, at all times i felt I had grip. It wasnt fun driving on the ice but oh well. My commuting is mostly dangerous at night since I come home around 3am. I feel a night and day difference with these snow tires, I never thought it would make THAT big of a difference. I guess I can say that as long as you drive cautiously under bad conditions especially with a rwd car running on snow tires, you are ok. I should also *knock on wood* so that nothing does happen in the future lol :)

Its a lease so it doesnt bother me if its covered with ice and dirty as hell in the winter. My next G37S or GTR (which I will buy) will def. be a summer car :)

Went from this

5-18.jpg

to this

2-36.jpg

1-45.jpg

3-33.jpg

4-27.jpg

Reminds me of all the nice BMW's I see come in at our dealership looking hot rolling on some sweet rims, only to roll back out on some far less hot winter shoes. The cars always look sad and disgraced.

I'm kicking myself for not replacing the snows / winter rims. Good luck with the tires ... keep some weight in the trunk.

Feels weird to downgrade the wheels to a smaller size huh?
We put 17's on the Mazda with winter tires and I swear they look like 15's!

I need some weight in the back of my car. Even with snows, it tends to kick around.

Let me know what you think of the LM-22. I thought about picking them up but I ended up going with Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D.

I'm kicking myself for not replacing the snows / winter rims. Good luck with the tires ... keep some weight in the trunk.

I've been looking at rims... but I'll either need to move the tire pressure sensors or just get them on the next set of rims... I should've thought of that before buying an '07!!

oh goonz do i see i bit of road rash on the summer wheels? and wow do the 17''s look small compared to the 19'' :dizzy:

omg dude, thats the only wheel with a very very slight curb rash on it. It happened like 2 days before I took them off, how pissed was I! But yea as you said Kim, downgrading especialy from 19" to 17", I felt a major difference in steering and ride comfort. I lack the precise steering that I had with the 19s, but the ride is def. MUCH quieter LOL

Tony the LM-22's are amazing! the traction I get with them so far are absolutely amazing!

I wish the stock wheels for my IS weren't so beat up. I'd use them for summer and some crappy 16" wheels for winter.

Instead I'm running 18" summer, and 17" stock for winter. I like the stocks more though. :(

Reminds me of all the nice BMW's I see come in at our dealership looking hot rolling on some sweet rims, only to roll back out on some far less hot winter shoes. The cars always look sad and disgraced.

I was so sad when I had to replace the ST200 wheels for the steelies with stock hubcaps. It looks so weird to look at the car that way since the first day I drove it the car had ST200 wheels on it.

Plus my tires blow nuts on my steel wheels.

Back