• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My Very Own Turbo Thread! (to be a long work in progress)

the air being presurized isnt an issue. Blackcoug has been doing it for years with his SC setup. also, FWIW the GM 3/3.5" MAFs were designed for an NA system but function perfectly in a blow-through setup without any issues.

True, but what is his kit running for boost pressures... if IIRC its only in the 3-8psi range. Relatively low considering some people are running at 12-14psi. I'm not saying it can't be done... I'm just saying its not the right way to do it. That is why just about every factory installed turbo system has either a MAP sensor with a BOV vented to atmosphere, or a MAF with a recirculated BOV. I could mount my intercooler in the trunk of my car... but it isnt going to get any airflow so it's really not going to do as good of a job. Just sayin...

True, but what is his kit running for boost pressures... if IIRC its only in the 3-8psi range. Relatively low considering some people are running at 12-14psi. I'm not saying it can't be done... I'm just saying its not the right way to do it. That is why just about every factory installed turbo system has either a MAP sensor with a BOV vented to atmosphere, or a MAF with a recirculated BOV. I could mount my intercooler in the trunk of my car... but it isnt going to get any airflow so it's really not going to do as good of a job. Just sayin...

then skip the Ford MAF and go with the GM MAF with MAF translator. they have been proven many, many times to be able to be used in higher boost pressures (15+ PSI) while still being consistent and accurate without failing. the other option would be to try to convert to MAP but that is much more complicated. why do you say a blow-through setup isnt the right way? factory cars run a BPV to keep the noise down (and on draw-through MAFs to keep from running rich between shifts)

Thank you guys for helping me. As you could tell, I honestly needed the help lol :rolleyes:. I'm no expert, but hopefully by the end of the build, I'll at least have the full understanding of how a complete forced induction system works. I'm definitely at the rookie stage right now, but I have a strong intent to learn.

FWIW, Greg will be using the XCal (unsure of the version) to tune the car. I believe he gets his tunes from Joey. It seems there are a few different options as far as the BOV installation goes. For now, I may just stick with Tial BOV. They have been proven on our cars and work great, but it's hard to rule out the HKS SSQV. I know you shouldn't base a BOV on its sound, but it's rather amazing.

Thanks again guys, I will keep you posted with progress!

I've been running an HKS SSQV ver2 for a couple years now with no problems whatsoever. My favorite part about it is that there is no adjusting that you have to do, no matter what, it works. You never have to deal with setting the pressure or replacing a spring, you just put it on. Don't get me wrong TiAL makes great stuff, but if you're looking for something simple that you'll never have to worry "is this the problem?" then the HKS SSQV is a great choice. They now have a ver.3 available.

Sidenote: there may be a chance I'd be interested in your TiAL if you sell it for a project of my own.

then skip the Ford MAF and go with the GM MAF with MAF translator. they have been proven many, many times to be able to be used in higher boost pressures (15+ PSI) while still being consistent and accurate without failing. the other option would be to try to convert to MAP but that is much more complicated. why do you say a blow-through setup isnt the right way? factory cars run a BPV to keep the noise down (and on draw-through MAFs to keep from running rich between shifts)

The MAF could become susceptible to shock waves and reversion pulses as the throttle is closed during boost. Flutter in the sample chamber of the MAF at this time can send crazy high airflow values to the ECU. Then you have the temperature aspect... most MAF sensors are not rated for anything more than 120-160degF because of the elements used. I stand by my initial statement, the MAF sensor was not designed to be used in that manner. I guess in the end, to each their own.

I'm just throwing this out for discussion but I think there could be an added benefit to the temporary rich condition when venting to atmosphere. That quick burst of excess fuel would cool the combustion chamber and help bring EGT's down. I believe this has been discussed in the past. The obvious downside to that cooling is the loss of pressure due to the temperature drop.

Personally, if I was setting up a turbo I would lean towards recirculation. You don't waste boost pressure and considering you would be using an aftermarket valve, it will still be loud enough to hear. I sure there may be a number of people converting to the GM MAP/MAF for a blow-through setup, but why throw more things that may fail into the mix? There doesn't seem to be any real benefit.

I have a Tial BOV. Im tuned by NPG, by Joey himself in Houma, LA. I backfire like a mofo. I do get a spike when the BOV goes off, and sometimes my car will want to turn off. Something Ive gotten used to and am able to avoid but its something to think about. I still love it!

- Amyn

the air being presurized isnt an issue. Blackcoug has been doing it for years with his SC setup. also, FWIW the GM 3/3.5" MAFs were designed for an NA system but function perfectly in a blow-through setup without any issues.

That's correct. I'm still running a blow through setup without any issues. The SCT tuners I've talked to prefer blow through setups. You can buy a MAF from SCT that is intended to be a blow through MAF. I've thought about getting one but mine is still working fine. I do clean it occasionally to remove any oil that gets through the supercharger seals. Temp is not an issue either. My intercooler never let temps get above 90 degrees after multiple dyno runs, but it is a bit oversized. BTW I'm running ~10-12psi.

The only reason I might go with a draw through is due to the PCV setup and having to worry about boosting the crank case.

Update:

Hey guys, it's been awhile so I just wanted to post an update. I now have an AEM Wideband A/F Ratio gauge (purchased from Justin), and also a used unlocked XCal 3. I'm getting there, slowly but surely :).

img20110310135622.jpg

Xcal is your best solution as far as the aem uego goes you may be ok they are prone to sensor failure I have to replace one on my buddys ion redline today as the sensor went out.. They are the best bang for the buck though.. Also Tial bov's are prone to leaking around the seal your best bet is an hks ssq or turbo xs I have also heard many good things about gofastbits..

I was thinking about this the other day: Has anyone eliminated their catalytic converter when upgrading to forced induction :shrug:? I'm just curious if anyone ran into heavy restriction from the cat after boosting. It's probably one of the most restrictive parts of the exhaust. Being that it was designed in place for a naturally aspirated engine, I'm curious how it fares with a turbo.

My current exhaust consists of MSDS headers, a stock catalytic converter, and a Remus cat-back.
I think I may have the stock resonator in place too (I have to double check though).

I don't think any of the turbo guys are running a "stock" catalytic converter. My dad's car has a high-flow cat in the exhaust system. I think I was the only one to run a turbo with the stock pre-cats.

I don't think any of the turbo guys are running a "stock" catalytic converter. My dad's car has a high-flow cat in the exhaust system. I think I was the only one to run a turbo with the stock pre-cats.
Oh I see. Thank you. I had a feeling that the cat was a little on the restrictive side for a boosted application. I just have no way of testing it. I did remove my pre-cats though when I switched to the MSDS headers. However the actual main cat is still intact. It seems to pass air quick enough with a stock 2.5L, but I'm not sure how much of a bottle neck it will be with 8psi at WOT :shrug:. I rather keep it in there for emissions and to keep rasp down, but I can eliminate it if need be.

I was thinking about this the other day: Has anyone eliminated their catalytic converter when upgrading to forced induction :shrug:? I'm just curious if anyone ran into heavy restriction from the cat after boosting. It's probably one of the most restrictive parts of the exhaust. Being that it was designed in place for a naturally aspirated engine, I'm curious how it fares with a turbo.

My current exhaust consists of MSDS headers, a stock catalytic converter, and a Remus cat-back.
I think I may have the stock resonator in place too (I have to double check though).

i honestly do not remember what i've got on mine. i've upgraded so many parts on that car that sometimes, i cant recall, and i'd have to go digging around the forums to see if i posted anything about it. lol. but i'd imagine its better to go with a highflow cat.

EDIT***- Just confirmed it. No i do not have a stock cat. Its a magnaflow high flow i've got.

You don't need to worry about rasp with the turbo. It provides enough restriction to keep it at bay.

I 'had' a high flow cat. It slowly broke down and shot out the tail pipe over a couple years. Not sure how much remained when I sold it. I think running my BOV to atmosphere and the resulting surges in AFR at shifts and any time the BOV opened I ran a lot of fuel thru mine.

Update:

Hey everyone, I ordered two differential bearings from Ford last week and picked them up yesterday (props to Cody for pointing out the right part number for me).

I also picked up a digital boost gauge and a firewire cable. I went with the digital gauge because it has a 0-5v analog output for data logging. I'm hoping to follow a write up I found and log both the wideband A/F ratio and boost pressure for fine tuning.

Speaking of tuning, I've been chatting with Joey over the last few weeks on PM, but I haven't heard back from him since late March :shrug:. I mentioned to him that I would love to purchase an email tune and listed all the specs of my setup. However I guess he's been busy this month :blackeye:. Besides from the tune, I think I'm ready for the installation :D:help::rolleyes:.

img20110419161828.jpg

Joey's 'day job' takes him off shore for weeks at a time. That could explain the delay in his response.

Lately Joey has been focused much more on NPG, last three times I have called the new number he has there was someone else that has answered and had him call me back the same day. I think his fusion and mazda projects have made business much better for him. All you need to do is call and you will get a hold of him easily.

Back