• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My very own hesitation/bucking thread

Welcome to the party, it's a blast isn't it?

But in all seriousness, if you aggressively (and preventatively!) maintain these cars (and it was treated well previous to your ownership) they seem to return the favor. Since buying mine 15 months ago with 115K, I've replaced/upgraded a lot of things but almost all voluntarily. I've only been "forced" to replace one thing so far (knock on wood), and that was the DPFE sensor. Seems to be one of the many common failures on the Contique.

*EDIT* Damn just lost a Silverstar headlight today and picked up a new pair. :rolleyes: I should learn to keep my mouth shut.

On a side note, I just noticed and love the fact that this thread has more views than both stickies in this section COMBINED. :crazy:

I just replaced the fuel pump in our Contour and I think that's going to solve the bucking problem that always occurred at 1/2 tank and less. We'll see once we get some more miles on it and use up the fuel in the tank.

Oh no! No more updates! But you still have not given a definitive answer!

Still not fixed, that's the definitive answer. We know its not a misfire.

Next theory:
A buddy of mine has a lincoln mark viii. He said that many people who put K&N filters on their cars, or any open element filter, have problems with vortices forming around the MAF element. This causes momentary garbage readings from the MAF. The way they fix it is by rotating the MAF on the throttle body until the problem is minimized. My plan is to install a stock airbox and a known working MAF to see if that fixes my problem.

I'll update when that happens.

Still not fixed, that's the definitive answer. We know its not a misfire.

Next theory:
A buddy of mine has a lincoln mark viii. He said that many people who put K&N filters on their cars, or any open element filter, have problems with vortices forming around the MAF element. This causes momentary garbage readings from the MAF. The way they fix it is by rotating the MAF on the throttle body until the problem is minimized. My plan is to install a stock airbox and a known working MAF to see if that fixes my problem.

I'll update when that happens.

sounds like you just need to add the maf screen back into the intake system

ok I looked at and drive the car last night.

this is not a miss fire because of plugs or wires.

this is not an intake or maf issue. we installed a stock SVT airbox w/mesh screen and the maf from my 99 SE and it didn't make a difference.

watched the O2 sensors and maf air flow rate and all seems correct.

watch the fuel pump pulse width and fuel flow rate via livelink. the flow rate was smooth and increased/decreased with engine rpm. the pulse width did also.

however I believe there was a quick drop out in the fuel pump pulse width when the car bucked. I am pretty sure it was as the same time anyway.

So I am leaning towards a fuel issue as it seems similar to the hessitation/bucking I get in my SVT when near a full tank of gas (it has the classic hesitation/bucking when below 1/4 tank of gas)

I have the log file from driving around that I will post for someone to look at. The one weird think that I noted was the spark advance at time spiked to a very, very large number then came back to normal. never seen that when data logging.

Also brent test the egr valve as I suggested just to rule it out.

Last edited:
do you mean to tell me that my car is hesitating and bucking because of motor mounts? (roll restictors) autozone told me the problem was in the egr valve or
evr.... help me understand please....

So was this problem ever solved? I just bought another CSVT and sure enough have this prob and it's driving me nuts!!!:mad: My car is all stock besides a K&N filter, and new plugs/wires recently put in by the previous owner. Also the fuel pump has been replaced. I would like to figure out what is going on soon!

Alright. I read through this entire thread and it is awesome. Lots of knowledge here (if only this kind of thing could make it to my threads..) I am having a low idle issue as well 550-600 when warm.

As far as bucking and hesitation, I worked on a dodge van for weeks because it had bucking issues both at cruising speeds and acceleration. It turned out to be the crank position sensor. Just an idea :shrug:

problem was not solved and the car was traded in for an explorer.

I still think it had something to do with fuel delivery. datalogging showed that pump command dropped out a few times and I believe it was when it was bucking/hesitating. also it was a very slight and almost wasn't noticable iirc.

Great, so I bought a car with a problem that I'll never be able to solve. One more reason to kick myself in the :censored: even harder for selling my last CSVT.:mad:

yeah... Guess if I don't figure it out eventually I can always take it to the dealership and pay a billion $'s to have them figure it out...

so all of you guys have 99 or 2k returnless cars?

everyone that doesn't has new plugs and wires, a good coil pack, correctly gapped plugs, etc?

Back