• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My Smoke Tail Light for my 98 contour

kw8z3boi

Veteran CEG'er
Should I get a brand new set of tail light or remove the tinted spray? Which one is better and less money to spend? What should I use to remove the tint?

I got a ticket for tinted tail light so should I un-smoke/get new reflector or it doesn't matter?

Last edited:
get new tails, unless you want to go through the painstaking process of removing the stuff, its possible but the lights will never look as good as they did before.

i'd wetsand the lights a little and add clear coat. 1st yours are way too dark,secondly w/o clear coat it look like a hack job, the clearcoat will make them look cleaner and lighten things up a little.

Just get some new tails from the junkyard and sell the ones you got. Some one might want them :shrug: Save yourself some headaches

Same thing happened to my friend, we just poured some acetone on em and rubbed it all off, one of the tails came out like crap, but teh other one turned out decent

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24600.htm See if you can see your tail lights from thsi far back in the day and night, if they can be, even with tint, you aren't technically breaking any law!

I got into a somewhat heated argument with a local police officer here in florida, and even though my tail lights are blacker then black, when on, they show up red, and can be seen the legal distance away, so therefore, no more hassling from the local policia about my tail lights!

is it legal to have my reflector tinted and leave my two lamp stock red?

I dont see why wouldnt it be legal... :shrug:; it will look like crap thow, the reflector compared with the tails

get new tails and sell the ones you have;

edit: I just saw your cardomain.....that body kit is ass ugly, the rear bumper is terrible

Last edited:
I dont see why wouldnt it be legal... :shrug:; it will look like crap thow, the reflector compared with the tails

get new tails and sell the ones you have;

edit: I just saw your cardomain.....that body kit is ass ugly, the rear bumper is terrible

Well you might not like it but I like... Well I always thought of that front, svt side skirt, and C-27 rear.

How can I find out the "Legal" Tinting of headlights and tails in MI?
I've never had a problem with the Venge. But it's driven at night mostly.
And it's completly black Rims Windows Tails Headlights

Ok so far all I know is front headlights doesn't matter what you do to it. For the tail lights, is fine if you tint it but not black till the point that you can't see any red. What I mean is light tint but not dark.

Back