• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MY 3L Swap (in progress)

hi buddy, what u want to do is get youself a small hand held butane canister with one of those blow torch attachments that screws over the butane canister and then heat up the middle of the crank where the pully meets the crank, give it a couple of minutes with the heat on the same area, then quickly get your pully puller and pull it off, it will come off, u wont damage anything, ive done it this way 4 times now and its always helps me take the damb thing off as u know its very tight, but the heat helps taking it off, hope this helps :)

hi buddy, what u want to do is get youself a small hand held butane canister with one of those blow torch attachments that screws over the butane canister and then heat up the middle of the crank where the pully meets the crank, give it a couple of minutes with the heat on the same area, then quickly get your pully puller and pull it off, it will come off, u wont damage anything, ive done it this way 4 times now and its always helps me take the damb thing off as u know its very tight, but the heat helps taking it off, hope this helps :)

Thanks, I'll try that tonight. Wish me luck :cool:

No, I haven't even been able to touch the car in a few days. Been working a lot, I will be out there Saturday night after work to punch in on it. You should roll out here!

Tony, when the hell are you stopping out again?

LOL! i just read your thread...l;et me know if you have no luck getting it off with heat. If I can get out I'll bring a slew of pullers from my dads and we'll get the pulley off.

very cool to get the motor out.... wasn't it hot/humid/warm as hell working out there this weekend?! Pics? We need pics....

The pulley from hell is now off. :) I was rather determined to beat it and I won :D

Yeah hey....more like an hour of grinding for the win! i'm surprised I didn't cook Josh's Ryobi. Funny thing ws I was looking at ryobi grinders last week and didn't think it would be tough enough for my needs. i think it passed the test.

Send a man to do a man's job.... you'll get there soon PHilly :laugh:.... glad you got it taken care of.

A little update:

Trans is with Livinsvt now. Hopefully have it back in two weeks. By that time I'll be ready to drop the motor and trans in. What kind of pulley puller did you guys use for pulling the HB off? I have two at the moment and niether are helping me out.

well, I welded three washers onto a very large washer, then placed that onto part of a claw type gear puller, but I refuse to do anything the right way, :laugh:

at any rate, the one I see used most looks like a peace sign with no circle, and you put bolts that fit the holes in the HB through the slots on the three legs of it that form a mercedes star. I know, bad description, but hope it helps.

the ford manual shows something different yet, but my 16 bit subsystem is acting up, so the ford cd keeps crashing. I'll try to get you a picture a little later.

well, I welded three washers onto a very large washer, then placed that onto part of a claw type gear puller, but I refuse to do anything the right way, :lol:

at any rate, the one I see used most looks like a piece sign with no circle, and you put bolts that fit the holes in the HB through the slots on the three legs of it that form a mercedes star. I know, bad description, but hope it helps.

the ford manual shows something different yet, but my 16 bit subsystem is acting up, so the ford cd keeps crashing. I'll try to get you a picture a little later.

Picture would be great, thanks.

yeah, I didn't, haha

I dont remember what bolts fit, but they came from the tear down of the old engine, so I'm sure you have them, just dont do like I did and snap one off in the HB, that was an epic pita to get out.

Trans almost done...

Trans almost done...

I sent my trans to Livinsvt to rebuild some of it and install a torsen.

Parts list:
1-2, 3-4, 5-R Shift forks replaced.
Inner and outer seals replaced.
Torsen with bearings installed.

With installation and parts I have about $1200 in the trans. Brett (Livinsvt) said the syncros all looked good, so that was nice not have to buy those.

I hopefully will be getting it in the mail before Friday next week, then it's GO TIME!

I sent my trans to Livinsvt to rebuild some of it and install a torsen.

Parts list:
1-2, 3-4, 5-R Shift forks replaced.
Inner and outer seals replaced.
Torsen with bearings installed.

With installation and parts I have about $1200 in the trans. Brett (Livinsvt) said the syncros all looked good, so that was nice not have to buy those.

I hopefully will be getting it in the mail before Friday next week, then it's GO TIME!

He does great work...trust me. :cool: No final drive swap?

Back