• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MTX popping out of First Gear

a2fast4u2c

New CEG'er
I have a 98 CSVT (E1) with 114k that has been popping out of First gear when accelerating from a dead stop. It feels like I am shifting into first just fine but when I go to accelerate it either pops out of gear and make a slight grinding/rattling noise or it makes a loud bumping sound (I thought someone behind me had rolled into me the first time the bumping sound happened, thats how loud it is). I have visually inspected the bushings on the shift linkage by turning the tires to gain access and they look like they are intact. I also removed the B&M shifter thinking that it wasn't engaging the gear properly but that had no effect. At this point I am thinking that maybe it is something internal or in the shift cables but I am not sure. If anyone can offer some insight on what to look at next I would appreciate it

If this topic has been discussed before then I apologize for the repost but I was unable to find any info after 6 different searches.

I haven't had a chance to get it in the air and look at it yet but I noticed today that it pops out of gear more often when the AC is on rather than off. I drove 20-30 miles with the AC off and it didn't once pop out of gear, when I turned the AC on it popped out on the first shift into 1st gear and then did it about 4 times after that in a 15 mile drive. I'm guessing that the additional load on the engine caused by the AC is the differentiating factor there. Just thought I would throw it out there to see if that info helped!

I spoke to Terry today and he felt that most likely the roll restrictors were the problem area. He also suggested checking the motor mounts and ensuring the shift cable bushings are both in proper working order. I will update once I have a chance to get it in the air (I'm recovering from knee surgery so it may be a week or so).

mine does this too my old trans did and same thing with the new cougar trans. some times you can feel its no engaging all the way in 1st. it feels like its real short going into 1st how would i adjust the cable length properly? and 1st is the only gear that does that its when you put it in gear and start to move

fix it fast or don't drive it.

fix it fast or don't drive it.

If it is a fix you can do by roll restrictors or cable adjustment do it and do it soon. Driving with it that way will quickly damage your shift fork and require a trans rebuild.

so i looked at the shift cable and i took it off. with the trans in 1st gear and the cable next to it as far forward as it will let the shifter go its about 1/4 in to long hense why its poping out of first. well when i tried to screw the end to shorten the cable it just twisted the end off in the middle of the threads... so now i need to get a new cable. so i assume the cougar will have the same length cabe as the contour as well?

so with the cable adjusted right problem solved has yet to grind or pop out since its easy to adj so if yours does this id check it

i am having the same kind of problem. mounts are all good. put a b@m shifter in then all went poopy. the shift cables are adjustable? whats the trick so i dont break them like rice eater?

I pulled the B&M shifter out of my car and it shifts ALOT better but I have not tried adjusting the shift cables but I will soon. I'll repost after I'm done.

yes they are adjust able the red clip has to come out then the calbe will slide in and out free then you clip it back in to hold the cable

Back