• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

moonroof slider cover

SVT in indy

New CEG'er
Can anyone tell me what the easiest way is to replace the slider cover inside the car that slides over the moonroof? Seems tedious to take the glass out so hoping for a better way.:help:

Yeah sunroof glass is the only way I could figure out when I did mine. Really pretty simple job once you do it once and figure out how it works. Just make sure you take your time to get the glass realigned correctly durring reinstallation.

push slide back
put sunroof to vent position
remove 3 phillips screws that keep the plastic to the sunroof and slide back
3 torx on both sides on the glass t-20 I beleive..
Glass is ready to be removed from the top.

Upon reinstallation
Remember to push the 2 flaps on the sunroof assembly down before you rest the glass on there.
There are 2 plastic rail guards that need to line up with the sides.
The sunroof sits inside the bracket and the guards on the outer side.
When intalling the torx keep all of them semi tight to be able to align.
Push front of sunroof down and tighten torx.
Lift the back part of the sunroof up and tighten torx.

so its able to be replaced without pulling the headliner? Or am I missing that step? my fabric came off the slider so i cut it off, but found a svt in the kunkyard with one in perfect shape i would like to snatch.

That is correct. The sunroof shade can be removed without removing the headliner. The glass is removed and the shade is take out the top.

so its able to be replaced without pulling the headliner? Or am I missing that step? my fabric came off the slider so i cut it off, but found a svt in the kunkyard with one in perfect shape i would like to snatch.

I'm in the same exact boat!

Thanks for the step by step Sam

Hey everyone, I followed the instructions on here for removing my sunroof glass so that I can re-glue my headliner to the slider. When attempting to but the glass back in I couldn't figure out if the brackets attached to the glass were supposed to go inside or outside of the brackets on the car. Can anyone confirm this for me ASAP please???

EDIT: Doh! It was right in the instructions. Disregard this post :)

Thanks svttour.... I didn't remember it being in the instructions on here last night and posted my question without re-reading the instructions on here. My bad :) Thanks again!

Any idea where to get new, matching headliner material to re-cover the slider?? I have the gray color fabric that's used in the MNB interior. Thanks!

Well I know you can't from Ford, but I mean if you happen to know any suppliers that sell that color fabric / headliner material.

Hey everyone... still working on this sunroof. I took the glass off several days ago so I could remove the slider cover and put some new fabric on it. I had a hard time getting the glass back in the roof and ended up just getting the glass to the point where it would seal and was bolted in place, but the plastic side brackets wouldn't clear the opening enough to allow the glass to open.

So after putting some new material on the slider cover, today I removed the glass, installed the slider cover, and have been fighting to get the glass in place properly.

I have the brackets on the glass sitting on the inside of the brackets on the sunroof assembly, and I'm attempting to fit the plastic side pieces in place but they are sticking out too far-- further than the glass. I broke my passenger side plastic side piece after an hour of not being able to get the glass to close (because the side pieces were sticking out too far.

I have been really having the forcefully jam the side pieces in place and something just seems wrong. As far as I can tell, the brackets on the sunroof assembly are pushed inward as far as they can absolutely sit. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong here??

I wish I were closer to you. Is the sunroof on the inside of both brackets? let me try to clear it up and see if its installed correcty. outside to inside. Plastic piece, bracket attached to car, sunroof bracket.

Thanks for the response again! Yeah, it's in the order. A few times that I forced the plastic brackets into the opening and the sunroof wouldn't pop up I noticed a slide gap between the seal on the glass and the opening on the driver's side. Couldn't get the glass centered for the life of me. I removed the glass, but the brackets on the glass slightly inward, and now had an easier time getting the glass into the opening (still had to forced the plastic pieces after gluing the passenger's side one that I broke).... but still had a slight gap on the driver's side, and when I tried to pop the roof up the plastic piece on the driver's side that I glued broke again because it didn't have enough clearance.

These plastic pieces have been an absolute bear trying to wedge them between the brackets on the roof of the car and the opening, once the glass is installed between the brackets. And there's no way to slide the brackets on the glass closer together. What a paint in the ass. I might end up having to have some metal fabrication shop nearby fabricate my something that doesn't have as tall stand-offs as the plastic has.

Any suggestions??? Thanks again man!!!!

Actually, whereabouts in Florida are you? I plan on driving the car down to the Ocala, FL area around Christmas to visit the folks. How far are you from zip code 34434?

Back