• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mods

Only the 99 and newer zetecs use returnless fuel rails. This is actually easier to work with, and the Focus SVT fuel pump is a drop-in replacement that flows better than our stock one.

To answer your very first question, the only differences between Zetecs are silver top (pre 98) and black top (98+) engines. The newer ones have VCT which is a pain.

To make the most power NA, you should invest in an FRPP head. This has been proven to result in the single biggest power gain, and is probably the most bang for the buck as well. Don't bother with stuff like underdrive pulleys, etc, until you've changed the head and cams. Upgrade your exhaust, intake, and head, and go from there. If you want to go turbo or S/C later, you'll be good to go.

jamesmason;122559by the way what controls that light. does your car have a tcs on it?[/QUOTE said:
I just spliced the O/D light to the next socket over because it says "SPORT" I also found something else new... There is a picture of a strut next to the sport light... kinda makes me wonder what thats for.

I also re did a little of my interior, but I'm not going to make jamesmason keep being my errond person on this. Thanks for the posting of the pics man.

And Locos, I keep trying to go to the shop that put the muffler on and they want $80 to relocate it even though I told him I wanted it even with the lip and the canister up toward the car not showing as much... I'm going to keep fighting it, but until then.

Only the 99 and newer zetecs use returnless fuel rails. This is actually easier to work with, and the Focus SVT fuel pump is a drop-in replacement that flows better than our stock one.

To answer your very first question, the only differences between Zetecs are silver top (pre 98) and black top (98+) engines. The newer ones have VCT which is a pain.

To make the most power NA, you should invest in an FRPP head. This has been proven to result in the single biggest power gain, and is probably the most bang for the buck as well. Don't bother with stuff like underdrive pulleys, etc, until you've changed the head and cams. Upgrade your exhaust, intake, and head, and go from there. If you want to go turbo or S/C later, you'll be good to go.

NOT entirely true. I think the cutoff is March 31 or April 30 in 1999. My '99 zetec has a return system AND VCT.

That's interesting. So we actually have 4 different "groups" of Contour Zetecs...

95 - Hydro lifters with OBD-1 PCM (Single timing belt tensioner, single lower idler, EGR)
96-98 - Hydro lifters with OBD-II PCM (Single timing belt tensioner, single lower idler, EGR)
98-99 - Solid lifters with OBD-II PCM (Timing belt tensioner, upper 70mm idler, lower 48mm idler, VCT)
99-00 - Solid lifters with OBD-II ????? PCM (Timing belt tensioner, upper idler, EGR)

Does anyone know if the 99-00 Zetec Contours also have the OBD-II rev 2.0 PCM? That would be VERY interesting because the 4F27E transmission would just mean some minor rewiring and a chip.

Also, do the 99+ Zetecs have the oil filter mounted horizontally to the block(just like the Focus)? How about the 98-99 Zetecs?

**EDIT** I was searching through teamfordparts and found the 98-99 idler sizes. **EDIT**

BP

Last edited:
That's interesting. So we actually have 4 different "groups" of Contour Zetecs...

95 - Hydro lifters with OBD-1 PCM (Single timing belt tensioner, single lower idler, EGR)
96-98 - Hydro lifters with OBD-II PCM (Single timing belt tensioner, single lower idler, EGR)
98-99 - Solid lifters with OBD-II PCM (Timing belt tensioner, upper idler, lower idler, VCT)
99-00 - Solid lifters with OBD-II ????? PCM (Timing belt tensioner, upper idler, EGR)

Does anyone know if the 99-00 Zetec Contours also have the OBD-II rev 2.0 PCM? That would be VERY interesting because the 4F27E transmission would just mean some minor rewiring and a chip.

Also, do the 99+ Zetecs have the oil filter mounted horizontally to the block(just like the Focus)? How about the 98-99 Zetecs?

BP

I'll check that stuff out tonight.

Do I actually pull the sensor out of it's casing when I put the SVT MAF in place of the 'tour?

what's this for?

what's this for?

What is this wire/hose :confused: for?

attachment.php

Just recently I saw a small black hose cut in 2, one piece hooked up to the tranny and and the other piece was going up to a hook close to the battery where it was just hanging. I'm just wondering if it should go somewhere and I don't see the missing pieces.

It looks like the hose was cut half way with a knife and the two piece hang there(one from the baterry hook and the other one from the tranny)...:shrug: ...it's strange how I missed it all this time.

May sound dumb but the hose looks like it's for a tranny pressure valve....I'm not sure...
Here are my own picture; i had to upload them separatly because they're too big to upload on this forum:
1. https://netprospective.com/files/IMG03.JPG (the place where one piece of the hose hooks to the battery)
2. https://netprospective.com/files/IMG01.JPG (the first piece attached to the a tranny cover):shrug:
3. https://netprospective.com/files/IMG000%20002.jpg (the 2 pieces and where they've been cut).

Attachments

• IMG_0472_2.JPG
    IMG_0472_2.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
the big red thing looks like wring for an amp. the black tubing that ends by the battery and has been cut is a vent for the tranny. im not sure why its been cut but i would replace it with the right length tube so you can mount it sidways like it was originally, you dont want dirt or anything getting down in it.

the big red thing looks like wring for an amp. the black tubing that ends by the battery and has been cut is a vent for the tranny. im not sure why its been cut but i would replace it with the right length tube so you can mount it sidways like it was originally, you dont want dirt or anything getting down in it.

ding ding ding...you win...

Last edited:
Do I actually pull the sensor out of it's casing when I put the SVT MAF in place of the 'tour?

What are you doing? If you don't have some way of tuning your car, it will run like crap with a SVT MAF in it. The transfer functions are very different.

I tried changin my 4-wire pre-98 MAF a while ago with a 6-wire 98+ MAF and even that didn't run that great. I ended up going back to the 4-wire one.

HTH,
BP

i have stage2 comp cams on my 1994 2.0 silvertop zetec (which has hydraulic lifters) and they work fine.

over here in the UK the blacktop zetecs had the same fuel rail and injectors as the focus, the silvertop zetecs had a different fuel rail and injectors (like in that diagram in this thread) and the two arent interchangeable unless you swap the whole intake manifold. not sure if this is the same principle for contours?

First, the big red wire is for the amp second, I'm doing a fuel/ air upgrade, but every MAF I have looked at has differant connectors, I'll try to take pictures if I can.

Back