• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

mobile 1 extended life results after 15k....

stalkersvt

CEG'er
1999 2.5. Well i just did my 1st oil change in over 1 year thanks to Mobil 1 Extended Performance. I did not change the oil filter between changes.
Here are my results:

Fram filter held up very well. the "grip" coating did bubble up a little but who cares.
I was less than 1/2 quart low, without adding oil in between changes.
oil was much lighter in color than regular Mobil 1 Syn at 3k miles.
engine still runs very quite, no knocks, pings, or chatter.

I did notice that i have seal leaks from the crank cam pullies, but very light. i think this is due to the new oil being able to come out of much smaller holes.

cost:

Filter 5$
Mobil 1 Extended Performance: 5 quart jug at walmart 34.96
Mobil 1 Extended Performance: 1 quart at walmart 5.96.

total. 46$

I am going to run this on all of my cars. i really think it is a heck of a deal.

do yourself the favor and get the motorcraft filter ... we use to use fram filters but solely use motorcraft oil filters now ...

If I went 15K on my oil change, the original oil (from March 04) would still be in the car. :laugh: I've only put 11K on it since I got it.

Switch that filter! Motorcraft is good, much better than Fram. You can buy it at Walmart too.

thats cool! previous Bob had mobil one in the car, and i dunno how long he went but with mobil one id at least go 5000+ miles, i dont think 3000 mile oil changes are necessary at TRUST ME, i worked at jiffy lube for 6 months, i know its unnecessary. and so is everything jiffy lube sells (by the way never by jiffy lubes synthetic oil in the drums... just dont, that is if anyone gos to jiffy lube here)

If you're really motivated, you could track down an Amsoil dealer and run that, too -- same interval, 15K. I've not run it, but it was looked upon highly in the SHO community -- its supposed to be the cat's as*. Amsoil recommends changing the filter at 7,500. I'd be inclined to use that same interval with any 15K mile oil.

And I also stand behind the others here that recommend the Motorcraft FL-820S oil filter. The "S" designates a silicone valve that is designed to help oiling at startup. Either way, the Motorcraft is a better filter, and it's original equipment. You can't go wrong with that.

Last edited:
My car has had AmsOil in it since the first oil change with a Wix filter. I ran it 15K once - but now I'm only going to run it 7500 to be on the safe side. I love the oil and it ges put into anything I change the oil on.

do yourself the favor and get the motorcraft filter ... we use to use fram filters but solely use motorcraft oil filters now ...

Can I ask why? Not that I'm doubting, as I also use the Motorcraft per CEG.:laugh: But I've never known anyone who had trouble resulting from Fram, what is the preference from?

But I've never known anyone who had trouble resulting from Fram, what is the preference from?

You need to know more people! The "preference" comes from knowledge of the internal construction of the Fram filter. thin, poorly constructed paper/cardboard. glued together..

glue... and cardboard.. the only things stopping dirt from getting to your engine. not a safe feeling for me.

There is also an option of using the Mobil 1 EP Oil Filter, which was designed for the EP oil.

There was a thread about oil and oil filters in the old forums with a link to a cut out of the oil filters. I usually do not get the Motorcraft filter as it is not easy to remove. (recently, this is not the case anymore as I bought the Sears Oil filter removal wrench which grips it tighter as you unscrew the filter). The Purolator filter (which I think has the same internals as the Motorcraft) is easier to remove due to the way the end is designed for the cap type oil filter removal wrench. And it is slightly more expensive than the Fram but cheaper than the Motorcraft.

As for oil interval and type of oil, for my "regular" Duratec, I use conventional (dino) oil with a 3K mile oil and filter change interval. This, I consider as insurance. There are many folks out there who do not check their engine oil levels until it is too late. If you drive 12K miles per year, you are forcing yourself to check it once every 3 months when you change the oil. Incidentally, I check my oil level once every other time I gas up. Of course, sometimes this means every (or every other) day. :blackeye:

Edit. Here is the thread with a link to the oil filter "research".
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...er=1026688&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

Last edited:
I just bought a mobil 1 filter and it was like $10 or something, its supposed to prevent dry starts because it has an anti-drainback valve. Anybody have experience with these and notice a difference? Seems like it'd make a difference in cold weather where starts are teh driest.

If you're really motivated, you could track down an Amsoil dealer and run that, too -- same interval, 15K. I've not run it, but it was looked upon highly in the SHO community -- its supposed to be the cat's as*. Amsoil recommends changing the filter at 7,500. I'd be inclined to use that same interval with any 15K mile oil.

And I also stand behind the others here that recommend the Motorcraft FL-820S oil filter. The "S" designates a silicone valve that is designed to help oiling at startup. Either way, the Motorcraft is a better filter, and it's original equipment. You can't go wrong with that.[/QUOTET]

The Amsoil I have used said 25K miles or one year. Maybe I should get a group buy going for that stuff since it is easy to get here.

And I also stand behind the others here that recommend the Motorcraft FL-820S oil filter. The "S" designates a silicone valve that is designed to help oiling at startup. Either way, the Motorcraft is a better filter, and it's original equipment. You can't go wrong with that.[/QUOTET]

The Amsoil I have used said 25K miles or one year. Maybe I should get a group buy going for that stuff since it is easy to get here.

My dad is an AMSoil dealer. If anyone wants to get some, just let me know and I'll forward you his contact info. He'll ship it directly to you. I'm not sure if he has a paypal account or not, but I can set one up for him. i think that'd be easiest.

If there's enough interest, a group buy would also be awesome.

My dad is an AMSoil dealer. If anyone wants to get some, just let me know and I'll forward you his contact info. He'll ship it directly to you. I'm not sure if he has a paypal account or not, but I can set one up for him. i think that'd be easiest.

If there's enough interest, a group buy would also be awesome.

Can I ask how much for a quart of the 25K 5w-30? It was only $5.35 a quart her last year but it went up to $6.19 lately. grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Back