• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Might be moving to Lubbock

Well, I've been here for about 20 days now, and this is what I have come to learn:

1.) It's hot...Even after it rains, you'd expect a nice cold front or something, but nope, nothing.

2.) The city water is putrid. It has by far the worst after-taste. IMHO, tap water in India tasted better than this. I have come to rely on refill stations at United Groceries. This aspect is really making me miss the good ol' Great Lakes.

3.) Since we're on the topic of water. Do people know how to drive in the rain around here? It's bad enough they drive too fast and tail-gate in the rain, but is it norm for people down here to see who can make the biggest splash in a overflooded roadway? I imagine mechanics see a lot of hydrolock down here. I can't wait to see how people drive in the snow out here!!! The funny thing is, people are really curteous on the roadways, yet for some reason they have little to no knowledge of driving in rainy conditions!

4.) Of most importance, the girls are friggin' hot here. It is absolutely insane how many hot girls are here!!! I mean, I can see walking into a group of hot girls here and there, but it seems as though all the girls at Tech have some sort of hotness prerequsite. The nursing school is absolutely insane here, man! :drool:

5.) People don't know how to have fun out here. Other than drinking, drinking and some more drinking, it seems as though these people cannot think of much else to do! It's amazing how stupid drunk people get out here.

6.) There's a lot friggin' bugs out here! My northern, city-boy ass is not used to these huge ass pests. I ran into a 3" cockroach by my car like last week in the morning. Nearly shat my pants. I was trying to kick dirt at it to make it go away. Ewwww! :laugh:

7.) Why the hell are the dairy product prices so expensive out here? $4.45 for a gallon of milk, wtf! I was paying half that in MI. My theory is being that this is the steak capital, these bastids are killing the cows before they can milk them, therefore there's a shortage. Either way, it's too expensive and I miss my cheeses!

All said and done, it's kind of fun out here. The hot girls definitely make up for the defects of this city, and I should probably reiterate, the girls are hot!!! :laugh:

The girls in ALL of Texas are hot..

The weather in all of Texas is hot, too.

the water.. well, that's just the area you are in... not a statewide thing.

The rain driving? people all over the country have some places that do this, but many people here don't slow down for those puddles.. heaven help those who are walking on the side of the road.. its a game to them, then!

The Bugs? Summer is almost over.. it will get better as the warm weather goes away..

Travel, man.. see the rest of the state, if you can! Let me know if you come this way, I'll see what we can do!

I remember the water being bad when I visited my girlfriend. She used a Brita pitcher to deal with it. As for the hot girls I guess I was already used to that from living in Austin where girls have less baggage and less clothing.

Austinites are Awesome.

Houstonians are pretty damn hot, too. well, both physically and temperature.

Well, my rooomate is currently using one of those Brita, in-built filter, pitcher things...it doesn't help, at least not for me.

Ray, I plan to travel around TX as much as possible. I've been thinking about heading over to DFW for the HIN in October with a buddy out in Austin. I really am looking forward to going to Austin, as well. Many people out here suggest visiting Austin.

So really, what's with the dairy product pricing out here? :blackeye: I need my cheese sandwiches and am not falling for the Valutime "synthetic," cheese again (Seriously, this stuff is disgusting, like eating yellow plastic) :laugh:

Not sure why the price is higher out there with all the agriculture around that area. Milk is still $3.50 a gallon here. As for HIN I thought they canceled those along with the Nopi events?

ROFL! I love the 20 day update.

As far as having fun, you do realize where you are, right? I mean, there is only so much to do in a place like that. Obviously the two most important being drink and chase those hot women. If the two are done correctly, you really won't have time for anything else. :)

Lubbock, TX rules

Lubbock, TX rules

Alright there buddy (ancientsanskrit), Welcome to Lubbock. I am an older member of the infamous CEG, the best internet community around. Hell,I haven't even owned a Contour in 4+ years and still check in occasionally. As a resident Lubbockite, here's a few guidelines:

1. The girls are unbelievably hot! It's not fair growing up here and not realizing what you are amongst, but it's true: Lubbock girls are super hot and are everywhere. Beware, we also have the highest STD rate per capita in the NATION. (Damn I'm glad I'm married!)

2. Don't drink the water. If you live in a house (renting or not) invest $20/month and get an R.O. system installed from Tadlock Water Solutions. It'll make your life here much easier. I would give up indoor plumbing before I give mine up.

3. The streets here aren't unreasonably bad but they do require a bit of caution. My old CSVT was a few inches off of the ground on 19s and I remember knowing every dip and pothole on the roads. Hell, even my bagged Tahoe isn't a cakewalk around our city streets.

4. If you like clean cars, forget it. With our dust storms here, you're lucky to have cars clean for an entire DAY here. Bull:censored::censored::censored::censored:! If you must go through an automated wash, use Xtreme Carwash. Quick Quack is :censored::censored::censored::censored:.

5. We drink A LOT here. Not much else to do... see #1 about the STD rate

6. Frat boys generally suck. I guess they get here and drink the water.

7. There are many cool bars, etc. here that serve as great places to hang out, even if you don't drink or don't drink much. Just leave before 2am and you won't have to experience Lubbock's druck driver population. I guess living in the Bible Belt does that to you.

8. Auto repair shops here are rarely fair, and will stick it in your butt if you're not watching. They hate anything but trucks and think Contours are POSs that are completely disposable. (I somewhat agree, but love them still) Don't expect any decent treatment from many mechanics. If you need a good list, PM me.

Most of all, have fun here. Lubbock is a great place and there is never a dull moment if you know where to look! If I can help, PM me and I'll give you my number.
Derek.

Well, I got to meet with Texas finest last night. :blackeye:

I was studying at the school till around 2am last night, and well I'm getting the feeling that DUI is a very common incident out here in Lubbock, since late at night it's police galore. So I approach an area which I know changes speeds really quickly (Down Texas Tech Pkwy by the Health Science Center, it goes from 40mph to 30mph). I drop my speed and even see an office in the front, so I was quite cautious

Anyways, the officer is going really slow ~20mph, so going around 25mph, I carefully pass him. About 20 seconds later, he takes a direct turn behind me and "Woop, wooop that's the sound of the police." Let's just say, I was swearing profusely (in my mind), trying to conjure up why the heck he pulled me over.

"Good afternoon sir, how are you today?" I quickly look over at my clock a bit puzzled at "afternoon" reference when it was clearly 2am. :laugh: Well, ended up being nothing but a burned out headlight. I was absolutely relieved, that is until he started inspecting the outside of my car. Now, I'm not too familiar with laws/regulations around here, so I was panicking a bit since my car is lowered and has a cat-back. Fortunately, he didn't say anything about the modifications. One odd thing he did pick up was that in TX you cannot have a frame around your license plate??? Anyways, he mentioned, I needed to remove mine and I thought that was kind of weird. However, I did notice many cars this morning w/o license frames....:shrug: Other than that, the office was a good guy.

Also, this afternoon after coming out of lab today, I noticed my windshield chip, in which I had sealed a few years ago, split across the windshield, leaving a nice 2' crack. :blackeye:

Solefood/ Derek-

Thanks for the warm welcome, bud. Nice to know another member in the vicinity. I must admit it is quite lonely out here in terms of cdw-27 enthusiasts! I've probably seen about 2 contours in the last 20 or so days, something I am not used to at all. In MI, I would often see at least 10 a day, including a handful of SVTs at that.

Thanks on raining on my parade, dude! Shesh, here I thought I was in hottie heaven, and now I come to learn hottie has a special gift that keeps on giving. :laugh:

In regards to the water, I've been getting away with the reverse osmosis fill-up station at United Supermarkets. $.25/gallon. So I really can't complain. With that said, if I were to live here permanently, that would definitely be on the to-do list.

Dude I don't know what you're talking about, the streets suck here. I take University to 19th and there are just so many damn lumps in the road. My car is lowered and as you mentioned, driving a lowered car around here isn't much fun. I was driving Slide Rd. by 50th the other day, and absolutely loved the friggin' 1' deep dips they have in middle of the road. The first time I hit it, I definitely bottomed out. The only good area of road I have found thus far is like down Slide past 80th. Don't even get me started on 50th....:nonono:

"4. If you like clean cars, forget it. With our dust storms here, you're lucky to have cars clean for an entire DAY here. Bull! If you must go through an automated wash, use Xtreme Carwash. Quick Quack is ."

Yeah, my car is black and while I was laboring at keeping it clean the first week I was here, I have given up. Occasionally, I will take it to the DIY place on 4th by Walmart just off the loop. First place I've ever seen where $.25 buys you 45secs and there is no minimum cost. I don't do automated washes. I do see myself doing a claybar treatment at least three/four times a year compared to the one time a year I was doing in MI.

"5. We drink A LOT here. Not much else to do... see #1 about the STD rate"

Hah, touche! Like that circular logic.

"6. Frat boys generally suck. I guess they get here and drink the water."

Yeah, I drove by the frats, the places look gorgeous. I see the same dichotomy exists here as any other major school in that mostly wealthy kids reside in them. Not my cup of tea, but whatever.

"7. There are many cool bars, etc. here that serve as great places to hang out, even if you don't drink or don't drink much. Just leave before 2am and you won't have to experience Lubbock's druck driver population. I guess living in the Bible Belt does that to you."

Honestly, before I came here, I didn't even realize there were still "dry" areas in the United States. Kind of took me for a surprise that a city this big would have these kinds of regulations. My neighbor was also mentioning that Dallas is a "dry" city as well, is that true?

"8. Auto repair shops here are rarely fair, and will stick it in your butt if you're not watching. They hate anything but trucks and think Contours are POSs that are completely disposable. (I somewhat agree, but love them still) Don't expect any decent treatment from many mechanics. If you need a good list, PM me."

Well, I can definitely see that people around here like their trucks...the higher the better. Plus, every other car being a Stang/Camaro/Vette, guess these people don't like there twisties that much, but appreciate the gesture, man.

Saw you have a 300zx, very nice. I'd like to see it in person some time; I absolute love them. I see many people around here like their 240sx/300zxs. Come to think of it, I may have seen your car. There is a guy with a red 300zx w/o any exhausts by me. I'm not going to post the exact location on here, especially if this is your car, but it's near University Ave. I also saw a beautiful black one leaving Bank of America two weeks ago (believe it had aftermarket wheels).

Anyways, we should get together some time and throw back a few beers. You're probably busy with the family life, but if you ever get some time, just let me know.

The license plate frame thing is kinda weird. Supposedly the frame cant block a certain percentage of the Texas on the top but almost every dealer plate cover does. Not to mention my Texas Exes plate cover does as well but I dont leave that on all the time because its a high theft item.

Yep.

Yep.

Lubbock does have it's fair share of ups and downs.

I am always game to get together with another CEGer. Hell, in my dumber days I let a certain old school Canadian CEGer stay at my place for several days after I met him for a few hours. Lesson learned, but fun still...

As for the 300zx, I used to own a red 94 with really low mileage (30k) but it has been since sold. It had a Wings West body kit and factory chrome wheels. Beautiful car! Chick drives it now and takes pretty good care of it. My wife drives a 95 2+2 Green with 350Z 18s on it, clean as well. It might have been her car that you saw. I now drive a "Ghetto Sled" Bagged Black Tahoe with 22s. Somewhat noticeable. PM me and we can grab a few beers. I live a block away from the car wash on 4th that you mentioned.

Back