• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Might be moving out to Camarillo

ancientsanskrit

Hard-core CEG'er
Got acceptance to CSU Channel Islands in Camarillo for graduate studies. They gave me a really nice financial package for being out of state, so I am definitely considering moving out to California.

I started looking into housing on Craigslist and let's just say I had a nice shock! :shocked: This, coming from a guy who spent $325/month w/utilities included in Ann Arbor, MI!

So I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions on where to look for housing. I will be bringing my car and do not mind commuting. Some neighboring areas I found were Ventura, Thousand Oaks, Oxnard, Simi Valley and a bit further was Agoura Hills (I believe was the name).

I'll also be job-hunting and depending on the spread of the Biotech sector down there, I'll have to make the commute. So even if you know a particular area that may be a bit out of ways, please suggest it.

Appreciate any suggestions you guys can lend.

For Bio-Tech - Irvine is the place to be but that is far too South for you to commute.

Rent, it gets no cheaper unless you move far east or up the 5. Find a room-mate and split a 2bdrm as they are usually only $300 more than a 1bdrm.

For Biotech you want to be right in the area you are thinking about going to school. Not only is Amgen one of the largest employers in the area, there is also Baxter Pharma in Newbury Park, where I live and where My GF works as well as Biosource in Camarillo. There are a ton of Bio tech jobs in this area, which is why we haven't moved yet. As far as finding a cheap apartment you should check out Conejo Park Apts. They are the most affordable in the area. They are located in Thousand Oaks On Moorpark Rd and Ave De Los Arboles. The actual street name they are on is Calle Quebracho. I used to live there and My rent for a 1 bedroom was $950 a month. I know rent has gone up since then. PM me if you have any questions about the area, I've lived here my whole life. My little brother Just Graduated from CSUCI.
Welcome to the neighborhood, I can't think of a better place to live, even though it's pretty expensive.

For Biotech you want to be right in the area you are thinking about going to school. Not only is Amgen one of the largest employers in the area, there is also Baxter Pharma in Newbury Park, where I live and where My GF works as well as Biosource in Camarillo. There are a ton of Bio tech jobs in this area, which is why we haven't moved yet. As far as finding a cheap apartment you should check out Conejo Park Apts. They are the most affordable in the area. They are located in Thousand Oaks On Moorpark Rd and Ave De Los Arboles. The actual street name they are on is Calle Quebracho. I used to live there and My rent for a 1 bedroom was $950 a month. I know rent has gone up since then. PM me if you have any questions about the area, I've lived here my whole life. My little brother Just Graduated from CSUCI.
Welcome to the neighborhood, I can't think of a better place to live, even though it's pretty expensive.

Pretty much what Blackfoot said is true.....Check into the student housing, but I bet there's a long list....Oxnard has some cheaper rent, but you gotta watch the neighborhoods....Weather is real cool down there and the beach is so close...Your best bet will be finding a roommate or renting a room because the rent out here is high.....Thousand Oaks and Newbury Park gets warmer because its inland and you'll have to contend with the Conejo Grade which is a steep mountain grade....I know because I drive up it five days a week....I too, born and raised here so use to the high prices...Thats the number one complaint when people first move out here....The high cost of living...

I do the grade everyday too it is a :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:, but it really could be worse. Where I grew up in Camarillo when I grew up there the only way to get anywhere was over the Norwiegan grade or the Farm rds. At least now the highways have been built up and fixed. You could also try Ventura, you can sometimes get a loft up there for pretty cheap, like &800 a month if you shop around. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help ya.

Welcome to California. I have lived in Thousand Oaks for over 30 years. You will like the area. I think you will likely find the best rental prices in Camarillo or Oxnard, but be careful of the gang influence in Oxnard. Add my name to the list of those who would like to help.

i work in newbury park across from amgen...from all accounts the rents here are just silly, so i commute 80 miles a day...i figure that sooner or later i'll be able to reason that paying rent in the area or buying gas and commuting will become a wash

i havent looked into it yet, but what is the price range on buying a home in the area???

Guys thanks for the warm welcome.

Like Fmr12B was mentioning, a double/triple is significantly cheaper than a single and probably the best avenue for me.

Blackfoot-
Like you were mentioning, the area is definitely budding in the biotech sector. I tried looking up Conejo Park Apartments online, but didn't find any information online. Do you happen to know if it is owned by an individual or a leasing/management company. If the latter, do you happen to know the name? Perhaps, they have a website and I can get more info.

In regards to CSUCI, they offer a split MSc and MBA program. Not many institutions offer this kind of split program, but it seems to be a trend as an MBA is becoming more desirable. The best part of the program for me is that they offer it part-time so that I can work during the day and go to school at night.

Indeed California is a gorgeous place. I've only been there twice and that was in Scotts Valley as I have some relatives up there. The landscape was absolutely breath-taking, but then I guess anything beats Detroit's landscape!

I'm still making baby steps here and have yet to do extensive research on it. I plan to start narrowing down within a week or two. Probably contact a local Realtor while keeping a close eye online. I'll keep you guys informed, and again I appreciate the help.

Regards,

-Neil

Guys thanks for the warm welcome.

Like Fmr12B was mentioning, a double/triple is significantly cheaper than a single and probably the best avenue for me.

Blackfoot-
Like you were mentioning, the area is definitely budding in the biotech sector. I tried looking up Conejo Park Apartments online, but didn't find any information online. Do you happen to know if it is owned by an individual or a leasing/management company. If the latter, do you happen to know the name? Perhaps, they have a website and I can get more info.

In regards to CSUCI, they offer a split MSc and MBA program. Not many institutions offer this kind of split program, but it seems to be a trend as an MBA is becoming more desirable. The best part of the program for me is that they offer it part-time so that I can work during the day and go to school at night.

so madson does not have a website. I know its not a large real estate company.

Indeed California is a gorgeous place. I've only been there twice and that was in Scotts Valley as I have some relatives up there. The landscape was absolutely breath-taking, but then I guess anything beats Detroit's landscape!

I'm still making baby steps here and have yet to do extensive research on it. I plan to start narrowing down within a week or two. Probably contact a local Realtor while keeping a close eye online. I'll keep you guys informed, and again I appreciate the help.

Regards,

-Neil

Conejo Park Apts is/was owned by Madson Properties. I don't know if they have a website, but I can see if I have a phone number. I have not lived there for 3 years now, I heard that the property was sold, but I may be mistaken. It's not a bad place to live, but if you move there buy a fan as the apts are not Air conditioned.

http://www.thatrentalsite.com/Conejo-Park-Apartments-in-Thousand-Oaks.html

If you're looking there be sure to call right away and see what they have opening up as people tend to live there long term.

Last edited:
camarillo is a nice little town with nice, cooooool weather. all the major outlets are located there too. ive heard that amgen is moving back east :shrug:

jdpowers is also located in the area, but theyre not biotech. but they do employ a number of people. i went to cal lutheran in thousand oaks. the adult evening program. lots of my classmates were employees of amgen. they pay for schooling, but you can only get in as a temp. but good employer so ive heard.

Sorry guys, got an offer from Texas Tech at the last second. While Camarillo is far superior to Lubbock, TX, financially the Texas Tech program is just more sound for me. With that said, I do appreciate all the advice I received from you guys.

On a side note, I am currently out in Santa Cruz as I type this, and absolutely love this weather. May just have to head out to this neck of the woods once I'm done w/my education. :cool:

aw well no harm done, at least u're gonna be a red raider :cool:

stay away from teh lubbock girls....my worst gf evvvvvvar was from there

I'll always be a wolverine at heart, but it's always fun to be in town with a good team. Plus, at least now, I won't have to freeze my ass off when it's 25 degrees and we're all huddled outside in the stadium. Instead it'll be a pleasant 60ish at worst!

Yeah? You're the third person to mention staying away from TX girls....what gives? :confused:

Back