• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MI Axle Rebuilding

Status
Not open for further replies.

KennyT772

Veteran CEG'er
My stepdad owns Mr. Axle - an auto shop that started as an axle rebuilder. We rebuild in house, which is what I do for 2 hours a day.

To anyone that lives around here you should contact me for anything you need axle related. Mike (my stepdad) has done lots of work with several perfomance companies, mainly for pontiac granprix and civics. We can do pretty much whatever you need, welding, boot upgrade, etc.

If you are interested contact me via pm and we will work something out.

Update.
I just talked to Mike, to get things going on this.
The axles will be completely torn down, reworked, and machined to new condition. From there we will weld the tripod and inner race to the shaft. Boots will be changed to a thicker version, and lubricated with silicone based grease. Bands are stainless steel.
Painting can be done for no extra charge if you supply the paint. I will handle this personally.

Price is $250 per pair incl return shipping. Core charge is $50.

Last edited:
hey kenny I think my buddy might need some work done for his gtp, and I guess I might get some stuff done as well just not sure what I need, I will be contacting you soon.

If you can make some High quality axles for the v6 tour at a reasonable price i bet you could get group buy going, i know I'd be interested.

My stepdad is basically all knowing when it comes to axles..if theres a interchagable part with the contours he will know it and be able to make it work. Only thing is, right now we have no v6-mtx axles on hand. You guys know as well as I do that these axles hold up rather well compared to most, so we have very few (if any actually) cores on hand.

For a group buy to get going I would first need to get L+R cores in order to work out what we can do, and a price. I know for a fact we can weld shafts, uprated boots, and paint of your choice (spray not powdercoat).

Ron, as you probably know the upgraded axles for some of the Pontiacs run over $200, which is almost insane. My stepdad and I want to get some high quality axles out to you guys, and get our name going more in the performance area. We used to ship axles all over the country, but now orders are increasingly rare. Once we get a core to work with we can set a price incl shipping.

well how bout we make a deal and let you guys use are cars as testers, im sure my buddy and I can find rides for awhile, just hit me up.

So your in the Muskegon area? Do you have an examples of any race axles you have built? Any using billets shaft and stronger cages, etc...

$200 sounds awesome compared to our stage 2 axles running at $600-$700 for the pair.... :barf:

$200 sounds awesome compared to our stage 2 axles running at $600-$700 for the pair.... :barf:
What exactly is done to the axles you have?

Our axles will not be any lighter than stock but they will be stronger.

Yes Mr. Axle is in the muskegon area, Google Maps

If you would like to speak to Mike directly you can call (231) 578-1111. Mention your from the contour site so he knows who you are.

Last edited:
I'm going to dig through our inventory this weekend to see how many of the v6mtx cores we have laying around. Once we get a few cores for each side we will start selling them, you just send us your cores after you swap in the new ones.

Seems a bit high for some re-man axles. For an extra couple hundred bucks you are getting a heck of a lot more with DSS axles, not to mention I think a life time warrantly(dont recall) . No trying to promote them. Just stating a fact. Intrested to see what you have to offer and how well it performs. :cool:

umm he said 200 for gtp's, where did he say 200 for contours?

So, he is offering stock re-man axles for $200 :shrug: and....? I would just upgrade to something better for a couple $$$ more..... Let's see what happens.

So, he is offering stock re-man axles for $200 :shrug: and....? I would just upgrade to something better for a couple $$$ more..... Let's see what happens.
This is why we need some to test, we can't just know everything before we build them, once we find any extra weakspots we will do what we can to reinforce that spot. Most of these axles seem to be breaking at the outboard so that will be the main area of our interest. As I said, we need axles first to get this going.

By the way, the price point is just a figure, not a set in stone number.

Most aftermarket axles are a joke from what I have seen and dealt with personally. Most simply shine up the stock and sell it as a high end unit, with no real changes.

Once it gets nicer out and I'm out of school, I would like to get a couple of 3L or FI guys out to the shop for some testing.

This is more like a recurring vendor thing, and mods are discussing on what to do with this type of stuff.

For now I'm gonna put this in Group Buy.

-Classifieds Mod

I'm replacing my axles with GSP axles next month. I can then send you my stockers for you to look over and do "the works." :D

Any advice on shipping axles?

Just fyi our reman axles with a lifetime warrenty run in the 80-100 dollar range, add in replacing parts, welding, shipping, thats what drives the price up. Mike is working on getting some aftermarket heads right now. Once we get those and get some built, I'll ask one of you guys to head out there on a saturday or something.

So wait.. I'm confused.. are these stronger than a stock axle? or are they just re manufactured?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back