• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Manual boost controller

Ok, guys I just finished the rear header gasket. Oh my what a PITA, I did it without removing anything. I unplugged the O2 sensor connector and removed the EGR bolts up top on UIM. I tried to re-install with studs in and studs out. There is like no way to reinstall the top left 2 studs, so I put the studs back in. I was ready to torch the car until my neighbor came over and helped. I had been working on it for 8 hours and needed a break. I reused the studs, but they all have new nuts on them. The rear was blown worse than the front. I put in the metal feeling Fel-pro gaskets. I took it out for a spirited drive and no noise. I'm gonna let it cool and then put it back on the ramps and recheck all the nuts. On to the pic!
DSCF1005.jpg

DSCF1004.jpg

Thanks for all the help.

Rod

Yeah put some miles on it today, I'm going out now to re-check/re-tighten the nuts. I hope these work. They seems good so far. The front one has been on for a week with no leaks.

Rod

I like to use Remflex (remflex.com) gaskets when doing headers with the motor still in the car. They are much more 'forgiving'. I had them make me a set for the duratec and they have since added them to their catalog. Kinda pricey but worth it in my opinion if you have to get in there that deep.

http://catalog.remflex.com/FORD_Header_Exhaust_Manifold_Gasket_p/rf3030.htm

I used remflex on a previous header install with much success and currently use their turbo-to-downpipe gasket. So far holding up much better than the metal gasket dressed in that copper RTV.

Ooh, that looks like an excellent product. Thanks for posting it!

2KSVT, glad to hear you resolved your issue!

Next month I am going to redo the mbc in my car, but its going to be with a muuuuuuch pricier one,lol The ams 1000

Yeah, next spring I'll probably go to 10# for daily driving. I'm going to spend the money on a good one as well. The headers are leak free so far!

Rod

Well the ams 1000 is $895.00-$1,000

That is crazy stuff for a boost controller. It is very nice though nonetheless!

... back on topic about the MBC's, with mine installed, I can't turn it down any past 9psi either. I'd have to remove it to go back to 7 1/4psi or whatever I originally was at. I may upgrade to a better one this spring, but I'm not spending $900 on one. :)

Agreed on not spending $900.00. I'm at 8# with mine out of the car. I want to get a decent one that holds the boost to 10. I don't want any more spikes to 15 on the 2.5!

Rod

Back