• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Manual Boost Controller Problem!

EDIT: Oops, I thought his last post was his first post. I didn't read any of the stuff previously.

What wastegate spring do you have? What MBC do you have? I know that with mine all the way turned down, I run 9psi just having it installed. Without it installed, I run off my wastegate at 7.25psi or 1/2 Bar range. That is because I have the 1/2 Bar wastegate spring. If you have the same spring as I do, you have a boost leak. However, you might have around a 5psi wastegate spring so you just dropped completely to running off the wastegate with the MBC removed. That would make sense with your boost creep from trying to gain 5 to 6psi off a 4 or 5 pound spring. You may very well have a boost leak though. Get some PVC pipe and google a "how to" for making a gadget to test for boost leaks by pressurizing your system with a compressor air hose and listening for the leak. My homemade device works wonders.

Last edited:
When I bought the car, I was told it had a 7.5 psi spring in the wastegate. To my knowledge it is the same spring that comes with the NPG Stage 1 Kit, and many others on here who have the same kit are at 7.5 psi.

Would a boost leak explain the spiking numbers with the MBC attached? Or is that just a seperate unrelated problem?

Back