• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Lugnuts for SVT Wheels

98SVTC

Hard-core CEG'er
On my E0, I have standard Ford lugnuts. Are there "special" lugnuts for the SVT wheels? When they are tightened down, they aren't quite flush with the end of the studs. They look to be about the same size as the one on the "stud replacement" video from this past January. I've had no problems with them but the fact that I can see a thread or two inside the nut kind of bugs me.
Karl

If you mean the tiny little ones (about 3/4inch) for the non-SVT steelies, yes, you should get the longer (about 1.5 inch) ones. I picked up the longer (aftermarket) ones when I switched to 2000 SVT alloy wheels during the summer. The tiny ones would go too far into the lugnut well and that made it hard to tighten or remove.

The lug nuts I have are brass colored and about three quarters of an inch long with a beveled end for the wheel but with barely an inch of stud showing through the wheels, the nut doesn't get much chance to grab many threads before it bottoms out on the wheel. I've had no problems with them but I just thought there might be different ones for the SVT wheels versus any other Ford wheels. The car didn't come with SVT wheels so when I finally got the correct ones, the lug nuts I had wouldn't fit and still be able to put the wheel caps on so I got new nuts at the dealer. I thought I specified SVT wheels but maybe not.
Karl

check pepboys - autozone - or R.S.S .. if u have any around and just change the, 2 better ones .. or stay with stock if it bothers u that much

check pepboys - autozone - or R.S.S .. if u have any around and just change the, 2 better ones .. or stay with stock if it bothers u that much
The thing is, I don't know if they're stock for SVT or not! The nuts seem to be too long for the studs. That's why I wondered if the nuts for SVT wheels were shorter than for other model Contour wheels so they would grab more of the stud. I don't know, maybe the studs are too short - all 16 of them. :blackeye:
Karl

I'll try to get a pick tonight but I put E0's on my Se and the stud don't pass through the lug nuts, they are about a thread or two shy. I haven't had any problem with the limited driving I have done with the car.

Back