• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Loosing Coolant, but cant find out where

HotRodV6

CEG'er
Ok, my 99 SE has 190K miles, and for the last six months or so it has been losing coolant fairly regular, but i cant see any leaks, and here lately i have been smelling anti-freeze. I cannot see any visible leaks on the rad tanks or core, around the water pump, and there is never any coolant on the ground. Just wanted to see if anybody else had anything to add as to where i should be looking, or if there are any know coolant leaks on these cars.

My engine in my 96 leaked it on the head gasket to the outside. It was a small leak and it would drip onto the Ac compressor. I found it when it was getting bigger and I put the copper color Bars-leaks liquid into the cooling system and it sealed right up. You might try some and start with only half a bottle like I did (it has enough for quite large coolant capicity in bottle).

i was leaking coolant but i was able to see puddles on the ground. mine was leaking # the seem of the tank. where the top & bottom half meet. it had a crack rite in the seen that i wasnt able to see. i just kept seeing coolant under the tank. then 1 day i saw it bubbling out the side.

Open your coolant reservoir and smell it. If you can smell exhaust fumes (and/or you can see oil) then you need new head gaskets, or a new motor. Otherwise, it could be a small leak in your radiator... could have gotten bigger now and is spraying on your motor.

Well i dont smell anything but anti-freeze in the coolant bottle. Tomorrow im gonna pressure test my radiator cap and then pressurize the system and see if i can find anything.

Back