• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Looking for someone to help me diagnose shifting problem

my_black99svt

CEG'er
Hi, I joined the forum yesterday. I was real excited as I was going to pick up my first SVT that night!

Well I did ... and I had a huge smile for the first 10 miles, but barely got it home. Now it is undrivable!!! :nonono:

I was hoping someone could stop by my place in Ypsi this afternoon and help me diagnose it. I'll give you a few bucks to make it worth your while. ($20)

I'm not sure if the issue is with the master/slave cylinders, clutch, or shift linkage.

I first noticed an issue while turning from I275 onto I94 after driving from I696 and I275. Going around the curve I pushed the clutch in to shift to 4th. I changed my mind and stayed in fifth, let the clutch out, pushed gas ... the engine revved with no acceleration. I was in neutral. Tried to shift back into fifth and it wouldn't go. I down shifted to 4th picked up speed then shifted into 5th. I figured that was odd, but it seemed okay again.

Pulled off the freeway at Rawsonville and stopped at the light. Car would not go into 1st or apparently ANY gear. I could hear grinding noises with clutch in while trying to force it into a gear. 3 lights later I finally forced it into 1st and pulled away. I was able to gain 2nd but never could get it into 3rd.

Now its parked and I'm mad!

I would appreciate some help. THANK YOU!!! :help:

im in Ypsilanti, I could look at it and maybe point you in the right direction, but im no mechanic by any means.

but it sounds like it has something to do with the clutch activation, it could be as simple as needing to bleed the clutch system, or as big as needing a new throw out bearing/Slave cylinder. Goods news is, whatever it is you are in EGL my friend, Everybody around here helps each other out, so if you need to drop the trans someone around here will help you do it for very cheap.

Last edited:
The other thing I had noticed driving the car before was that the clutch engage point seemed to be high off the floor. Every other performace car I had driven engage really close to the floor. I chalked it up to it being just SVT design, but maybe it wasn't.

And I would be returning the car. That is not going to be cheap. Even if you have to pull the trans to put a clutch and TOB in you should have the transmission pulled apart. Hopefully it's just shift cables but the later ends are a little tougher design.

Is this a black one that was for sale in Ann Arbor? with like 160K miles on it? it has two fart can on the back, the passenger side of which is at a really weird angle?

Last edited:
Is this a black on that was for sale in Ann Arbor? with like 160K miles on it? it has two fart can on the back, the passenger side of which is at a really weird angle?

also interested in where this car came from

No fart cans.

I bought the car from a guy in Birmingham. It has a ski/bike rack on top that looks like it was installed when the car was new and never removed.

ok i know which car this is now!
in his ad he talks about how good the trans is:nonono:

Last edited:
Ya these were his words from the ad about the tranny.

Transmission- the last owner who I purchased this from promised me that the transmission is fairly new, and the gear-box has been improved (these cars were notorious for transmission and gear issues, this one is perfect) Transmission shifts flawlessly, clutch is strong, pedal feel is excellent.

which to be honest was true when car had 10 miles less than it has now. The car shifted like knife in butter before this issue. Smooth, and easy. :shrug:

theres just something about when the seller tells you the car is fast i dont like
ive been discussing this in other threads this always seems to be the outcome.:shrug:

This is the car I really wanted, but the seller posted it a few hours after I put money down on the other one.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/car/450324407.html :drool:

:rolleyes:

yup, I know that guy.

As for your black SVT, I think I talked to the guy that was selling it. It had a lot of miles on it but a newer drive train, the guy that was selling it was a businessman that travels all over the place and needed to get rid of it ASAP before he left michigan again.

He was being kind of a dick when I talked to him too.

everybody is a dik after they talk to you alias:laugh:

My car maybe for sale El cheapo really quick. Like more then a grand off what i wanted before

Back