• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Looking for input on exhaust plans...

BeaterSVT

CEG'er
Okay, guys. I need your help. I'm putting together my exhaust plan and I need info on which direction to go. My car is a '98 2.5l w/ 78k miles. I plan to have it boosted in the future so I don't want to spend money on something that would be good for N/A and then have to replace when it gets boosted. I also plan on installing headers and a larger Y-pipe/downtube as well.

I like the look of twin mufflers right behind the tips, but I don't know if I need that. Also, I plan to go with a 2.5" tubing. Is this a good diameter for boost?

I know mufflers come down to sound, but why are Borla considered to be the best? Which ones does everyone like the best for performance?

Also, center or offset inlet/outlet?

If I'm missing anything, let me know. TIA!

well an exhaust thats good for a boosted application will be too large for an N/A application. ideally for a boosted 2.5 or 3L you would want a 3" exhaust, but for an N/A a 2.5" exhaust would be better. ultimately, you can use the 2.5" exhaust on the boosted engine, it just will hold back the power a little bit. of course that isnt necessarily a bad thing since these cars have problems with traction when you add boost anyways.

as far as mufflers its really up to you, since its your car and you are the one that has to listen to it every day. Borlas have a nice sound on pretty much everything they are installed on and are high quality mufflers. although I have to mention the Aero Turbine mufflers as that is what i had on my SVT and they produced a nice sound as well. (you can search youtube for videos of my exhaust).

I bought mine with dual 40 Series Flowmasters and I love the Sound, I plan on deleting the Stock resonater to get more power and that will probably be a little louder but its kool bc its not even to loud, right now its a very mellow tone until WOT

Back