• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Liquid clay bar?

SlvrSVT00

Veteran CEG'er
I was at auto zone yesterday and saw this stuff, by turtle wax called, Liquid ice clay bar or something.

just wondered if anyone has tried it and what they thought of it.

Thanks!

wouldn't that just be a typical cleaner wax then?

I am going to go out on a limb and say its not any good concidering the Ice car wax wasn't any good ...

Same

Same

Normal clay bar just of the ice variety I opened up several different packages of stuff looking for a decent wax the other day, Since I am on good terms with the store manager he let me take a small piece of painted metal in and test a few, As far as cost vs. look feel etc. I actually like the black magic red and black bottle stuff, made my car look decent for a change.

Nothing beats the original method, there are NO short cuts to claying, so IMO, don't waste your money:crazy:

yup...i found that out this past weekend. I was claying my car (first time ever on any car) and it was getting dark out so I didn't do the roof. And needless to say you can tell, especially when you feel it. Where I clayed it felt like new paint and on the roof you could feel all the particles on it. I am a new fan of claying and going to recommend it to everyone. Not only that, but it is a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. You don't need to press hard at all. How often do you guys clay your cars?

Once a year for me, in the spring. But I wax pretty frequently and the car doesnt stay dirty for more than a day or two

Friends don't let friends buy Turtle Wax.

j/k.

But seriously, I have tried both Ice Polish and Ice Liquid Clay and both were a disappointment.

Traditional clay beats Ice for contaminant removal hands-down. From what I've heard from others, Ice Liquid Clay seems to clean oxidation a little better, but that's probably what appears to be the high content of solvents at work which basically means it's doing a chemical peel on your paint.

On a whim I decided to try some of the Ice Liquid Clay Bar for my Nissan Altima (which I plan on selling soon). The car had heavy oxidation on the hood and needed a wax anyway.

Well, it removed the hood oxidation after several passes but i wasn't impressed. For the added price it didn't do anything more than lower priced cleaners I have tried.

I don't recommend it.

Thanks guys, I had just never seen a "liquid clay bar" wanted some opinions, and fwiw I don't buy turtle wax brand stuff, so don't worry LOL.

Whats the process when using clay bar on a car. ie wash, clay bar, wax? Also how do you actually do it. I have never none it or seen it done.

All I do is once a year, I buy a clay bar... Meguires or Mothers, and use it according to the directions ( spray wax that comes with it, then wipe it down) then go back over it with Mothers Caranuba wax. Then, beat all of the dust off of the car. And another thing is, I don't use anthing but microfiber cloths. (theyre $8.00 for a pack of 12)

All I do is once a year, I buy a clay bar... Meguires or Mothers, and use it according to the directions ( spray wax that comes with it, then wipe it down) then go back over it with Mothers Caranuba wax. Then, beat all of the dust off of the car. And another thing is, I don't use anthing but microfiber cloths. (theyre $8.00 for a pack of 12)

I am not sure I agree with using nothing but microfiber towels ... they had know where near the nap and depth of normal towels, the Zaino web site suggests 100% white cotton USA made towels ... this is what I will be using ...

RoadiJeff - Could you post a pic or pics? Since I'm about to clay bar my SVT I'm curious.

RoadiJeff - Could you post a pic or pics? Since I'm about to clay bar my SVT I'm curious.

Sure. In my case I think I applied too much pressure, rubbed way too long and probably ran low on keeping the area moist while rubbing. The video links that I posted yesterday say that you should be able to do a whole car in 15 minutes. I think I spent nearly that long on just the spoiler.

Anyway, now that I know the proper technique I'm still gunshy about using a clay bar. I plan to sand down and repaint the spoiler "one of these days" but I've been saying that for several years.

claybar.jpg

don't worry about it. use a lot of the spray with it, don't spend a whole lot of time on one section and you will know the area is done when you can't hear anymore of the stuff being lifted and it feels oh so smooth. and don't press down really hard. heck you don't need to press down at all for the most part. just let it sliiiiiiide across the paint.

Sure. In my case I think I applied too much pressure, rubbed way too long and probably ran low on keeping the area moist while rubbing. The video links that I posted yesterday say that you should be able to do a whole car in 15 minutes. I think I spent nearly that long on just the spoiler.

Anyway, now that I know the proper technique I'm still gunshy about using a clay bar. I plan to sand down and repaint the spoiler "one of these days" but I've been saying that for several years.

claybar.jpg

Don't blame the clay bar because of poor paint.
It has been discussed many times on the old forums regarding Contours - specifically black - having paint issues.

This was discussed in this thread

On a properly painted surface, you could take a clay bar - wet or dry - and rub for hours and never see what happened to your spoiler.

Don't mislead others on products. :nonono:

Let's see...when someone on this forum mentions using a clay bar on their car they are most likely going to use it on a Contour or Mystique. If the paint was bad from the factory the clay bar can make it worse.

My supplied pic is a warning to anyone who might be considering using the same product on their car, black or otherwise. I only wish someone had taken the time to post such a warning before I destroyed the paint on my spoiler.

Don't try to mask the dangers of using a clay bar on bad paint. :p

Nowhere in your thread do you mention anything about bad paint until I pointed it out.

Moot point now. Carry on.

Back