• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Like a poll for projectors... for those who have 'em.

well dont hold out on me, wheres your link =;

If you cant figure out how to find some sites that might sell these, I think you're way over your head on this retrofit!

Just think about it, where do people sell things?

If you dont know where things are, what do you use to find things out?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36476&viewitem=&item=300052118811

so mr. goonz do you happen to know if these are the same kind of projecors? ive come across several slighty different ones. the lenses are declared 2.7 inches, i was thinking you said they were 2.5? other then this, i know i will need the ballasts, something to convert my 9005 wiring to fit the projector for on/off, and then ballasts and bulbs, am i missing anything?

That looks about legit, that cut-off is more different then mine since I have the euro spec Valeos (ECE) and mine flings out more. I still feel you will save money buying the the package from hidplanet for $440. You get the best HID kit (Hella Gen 3 that I have as well) and a pair of valeo projectors, that seems like a better deal then ebay IMO..

you will also need a shroud to go around the projector if you wish to have your projector look nice. A shroud being a chrome ring that surrounds the projector kinda like what I have. I know pudmunkies doesnt have those which you many chose not to do as well, just a suggestion for aesthetic purposes..

Last edited:
ok thanks, but like stated above, hid planet appears to be out of the valeos? i deffinately get the shrouds, i saw them on hidplanet as well. i plan on doing more towards the way you did it, i like yours the best. do you think i can paypal you like 25 bucks for a detailed "how-to" guide? just like what materials you found to work best, and some steps. just a little beyond what you would mind doing for free?

whatever dude, ill find it myself. no reason to treat me like your better than me.

Im not better then you, im trying to get you to think this through. Google + ebay = win. If you want this handed to you, then you're not gonna be able to get it set right! Just think it through and do whats logical and you'll come out on top!

Goonz sent his lights off to HIDtech to have them do it....

As for your ebay auction those are 'legit' but the seller has been known to be a bit sneaky. His products have been known to be described falsley (in terms of their condition).

Those are DOT D1s Projectors, they are built to have an ignitor on the back of the blub (D1S). You'll either need to drill a small hole and rig up a screw / washer to hold the bulb down, or use a D1S bulb ($$$). The overall 'best' (as voted by HIDplanet forums) Valeo would be a DOT sheild (like in that auction) with a clear ECE lense (like what goonz has).

ok thanks, but like stated above, hid planet appears to be out of the valeos? i deffinately get the shrouds, i saw them on hidplanet as well. i plan on doing more towards the way you did it, i like yours the best. do you think i can paypal you like 25 bucks for a detailed "how-to" guide? just like what materials you found to work best, and some steps. just a little beyond what you would mind doing for free?

LOL I can tell you this man from HIDtech, I got what I wanted as far as projectors and etc with shrouds and a clean OEM looking headlight, however, the workmanship was poorly done. After a short while stuff started losening and jittering, I also had a badly sealed passenger headlight which wasnt fun at all. I sent them back tghe stuff demanding they fix everything. It took them 3 months (2 of which they stopped replying to me emails) it was a tough tough 3 months but when i got everything back, they seem to be holding up just ok. I wish I would have known about pudmunkies making them, I woulda had him do mine :blackeye:. ANywho yea, I have no idea what was done, wait actually this is simple, the openend the headlight, drilled a decent hole in the lows section and stuck in the projector and siliconed the crap outa the back..lol..really thats what they did. Pudmunkies makes a custom bracket the hold the projector in and allows him to aim. What the projector bracket looks like, well thats his little seceret I guess cause i have no clue :shrug:

Anyway man this is a tedious project that I wish you luck, please make sure you read up on the FAQ on HID lighting.. and another on how to aim your projectors.. also this website on adjusting maye

Good luck and make sure you reseal those puppies up well, nothing sucks worse then leaking light, trust me i know :blackeye:

right on man, actually i have a couple of good ideas about how to do it, so its all good.

to puddmunkie, i hear what your saying but i was trying to take advantage of the fact that you know more than i do on the subject, so i was hoping you would know of another good place to get them (from experience), so i dont have to guess. i really dont have to know everything about projectors, because im not modifying anything inside, just strapping them to plastic... all id like is some help, thats kind of the point of the forums? dont take this as flamatory, just expression. i really want these in my car.

HIDplanet will hook you up, DOT cutoffs are usually straigh forward with a sharp "Z" and the euro ECE's have a more streched "Z" with a flare sticking out as you can see on mine below for ECE..

DOT cutoffs

valeo3.jpg

ECE cutoffs (mine)

12-4.jpg

right on man, actually i have a couple of good ideas about how to do it, so its all good.

to puddmunkie, i hear what your saying but i was trying to take advantage of the fact that you know more than i do on the subject, so i was hoping you would know of another good place to get them (from experience), so i dont have to guess. i really dont have to know everything about projectors, because im not modifying anything inside, just strapping them to plastic... all id like is some help, thats kind of the point of the forums? dont take this as flamatory, just expression. i really want these in my car.

Ill hint you in on this, you need to be really carefull on the depth of your projectors when you mount them to the stock reflector. (hint, Valeo's fit, E46 bosch's do not fit easily.

Then you need to decide how you want to secure them to the reflector, do you want them in front or behind the reflector back, and what kind of screws do you want to use? Goonz's arent screwed in at all, just glued :shocked:. Thats how he can use that one small bezel that doesnt cover much else.

The fact that I use a bracket means that I cant just use a simple little bezel, because you'd see a T304 stainless bracket so the need for a cover plate comes up. Its deffinatley a different look from the exposed look you get on goonz's style, but I prefer the functionality of the bracket.

Head over to HIDplanet forums and look at how some people do their retros. Some are really hacked up, and some are really well done.

What? 5k is perfect lighting/brightness and looks awesome. 5K is basically the color of stock 4300k HID's after they have colorshifted. I have these and they look :drool:.

yupp, the rare Philips sn# 85122+ (5000K) is really a 4300K (sn# 85122) bulb but colorshifts faster to a crisp 5000K. Cars that blew a bulb were meant for these bulbs so that when they put in the new 85122+ bulb, it would colorshift quickly and blend in with the other..Also for the D2S bulb that I have, the 5000K really cant be noticed untill you have projectors and you see at the "Z" its a very very crisp blue/white color and also all along the cutoff line..:drool:

What? 5k is perfect lighting/brightness and looks awesome. 5K is basically the color of stock 4300k HID's after they have colorshifted. I have these and they look :drool:.

Im kidding. I have 5300K. Im messing with Goonz because he is always saying how 4300K is the only option, and that others will result in poor light output.

5000K is perfectly acceptable, to me anyway.

kind of stalled. hidplanet is out, i got some people lined up to get some oldie headlights to practice and use until i got the new ones done, but the problem is that i keep looking at rsx type s' and almost wanting them. that kind of makes it hard to put money into my car when im not sure if i still want it. btw, im 20 and am on my 7th car, (all by myself, no cars bought for me by my parents as a teen.) so im pretty rediculous.

Back