• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Lightning 90mm MAF

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
Is it worth my while to purchase a Lightning 90mm MAF for a forced induction car? I found a great deal on one for $99 which includes the adapter plate.

im running a 90mm on my turbo zetec. there only difference between the 80 an 90mm MAFs are the size really. tuning should not be an issue with either one. the only advantage of the 90mm is you have the ability to go higher with your HP goals.

i say, go with whichever you can get cheapest.

I'm not sure where the maf is with your boosted setup, but I do know that most people use 80mm maf's on a boosted duratec because of the limited underhood room. Most people who have the 90mm maf on a duratec have to relocate the MAF to the bumper. As for horsepower goals, a 80mm MAF will support somewhere around 450 or more wheel horsepower on a duratec motor. I have 2 spare perfect condition 80mm MAF's, PM me if you are interested and I'll price match for the 90. :)

if your talking about mine its in the factory location. i would have gone with the 80mm but i couldnt find one with the adapter for less than i could find the 90mm.

Picture003-3.jpg

if your talking about mine its in the factory location.

No, I was referring to boosted duratecs having a hard time fitting the 90mm MAF under the hood. I know for a fact that you can't fit a 90mm MAF under the hood with the NPG Kit, and I know Stazi had to relocate his 90mm MAF to inside the bumper right after the filter, etc... as for the orginal poster, it might fit with a Vortech kit but I honestly have no clue as I've never paid attention to the MAF location on that kit. The original poster doesn't have his setup intercooled, does he?

I haven't purchased anything for my kit yet. I'm piecing parts together. I'm not sure if I'm going to have an intercooler or not yet.

I haven't purchased anything for my kit yet. I'm piecing parts together. I'm not sure if I'm going to have an intercooler or not yet.

That is your answer right there. If you don't plan on intercooling your system then you certainly wont be pushing enough air to need a larger MAF.

There is no realistic benefit to getting a MAF larger than your throttle body. If your throttle body is 65mm and the MAF is 180mm, then guess what, you are still bottle-necked at 65mm.

I would concede to say that something a hair-larger than the TB would be okay, because you are compensating for the material directly in the path of air-flow in the MAF it self. Such as the screen, sensor, mounting plastic, etc. The same could be said for the throttle plate in the TB as well though.

There is no realistic benefit to getting a MAF larger than your throttle body. If your throttle body is 65mm and the MAF is 180mm, then guess what, you are still bottle-necked at 65mm.

I would concede to say that something a hair-larger than the TB would be okay, because you are compensating for the material directly in the path of air-flow in the MAF it self. Such as the screen, sensor, mounting plastic, etc. The same could be said for the throttle plate in the TB as well though.

It's not the size that's the issue here. The stock MAF sensor maxes out (peggs 5V) around 300whp. People pick up the 80mm MAF or 90mm MAF from the Lightning because they are calibrated for a larger range of air flow meaning they won't pegg out. If the MAF peggs out you will run lean because more air is getting in than can be metered.

It's not the size that's the issue here. The stock MAF sensor maxes out (peggs 5V) around 300whp. People pick up the 80mm MAF or 90mm MAF from the Lightning because they are calibrated for a larger range of air flow meaning they won't pegg out. If the MAF peggs out you will run lean because more air is getting in than can be metered.

Couldn't be said any better.

You realize this is the Forced Induction branch right? :ponder: Were not talking about how much air we can force through a mass air flow sensor, were talking about fuel delivery. Stock MAF isn't going to cut it.

If this were naturally aspirated, I would totally agree with you, but like Blackcoog said, the stock MAF is only good for about 300 whp.

Couldn't be said any better.

You realize this is the Forced Induction branch right? :ponder: Were not talking about how much air we can force through a mass air flow sensor, were talking about fuel delivery. Stock MAF isn't going to cut it.

If this were naturally aspirated, I would totally agree with you, but like Blackcoog said, the stock MAF is only good for about 300 whp.

Thanks for pointing that out for him guys.

So it seems like I should pick up the lightning MAF. Seems like a good deal since I get everything I need with it.

so when i get a tune, i should put the pro flow sensor back in? the guys that will tune my car said that i can tune the maf in without the optimizer when i get it tuned, so i guess i'll just slap the pro flow sensor back on when i get to the dyno.

The MAF sensors are calibrated to their own housings. If the sensor is moved to a larger housing it isn't going to be reading the correct air flow. I would suggest going back to the stock MAF housing. Ditch the pro-flow MAF and get a lighting MAF. There has always been issues with the pro-flow.

no way man. i have a wideband, and i have a pro flow. i wouldnt put a 90mm lightning maf on my car, its still got the shaft going all the way through. the pro flow i have has the small tube in the housing, and the sensors drop right in. i will have it tuned with the stock MAF this spring, and if i need one that will read further, i'll drop a sensor in off a 90mm.

Ah, I see. I'm not quite familiar with MAF's yet, as I'm used to VAF (plunger or gated) systems and using wide-band, MAP, and AIT for tuning.

Welcome to the world of MAF for me!

no way man. i have a wideband, and i have a pro flow. i wouldnt put a 90mm lightning maf on my car, its still got the shaft going all the way through. the pro flow i have has the small tube in the housing, and the sensors drop right in. i will have it tuned with the stock MAF this spring, and if i need one that will read further, i'll drop a sensor in off a 90mm.

Dude, the shaft in the stock MAF isn't restricting flow. We just stated that the MAF isn't swapped because it's a restriction. Call Casey up at Hitech and tell him what you are running for a MAF. If he is going to tune your car he would be the person to ask if your setup is going to cause issues.

Back