• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Lifter tick -- Valve adjustment directions

Canadian Stop driving yours man... the sound got worse for about 2 minutes while I was driving, then stopped running on me. Would hate for the same thing to happen to you. I was sick all this past week so I didn't have the time to dig in, but I am just starting now. Will let you know how it goes.

- Mark

Hey Mark, beginning to wonder if we do have the same issue... I've put over 2500kms on the car since the noise appeared, and it hasn't got any worse or any better. I had a master mechanic look at it again (he suspected broken piston skirt or wrist oin at first) and ofter having listened intently he thinks more like a collapse hydraulic valve lash adjuster (aka lifter). He wants to open it up and replace all 4 in the bad cylinder, at $25/piece from Ford..... I may takle this myself soon enough, but its a matter of getting the time!

Sounds like you have the UIM off, now pull the valve covers (black covers) and see if any lash adjuster are loose. The last link from "twocontours" on the Autozone how tos shows you the lash adjusters...

Good luck Mark!

Is there a possibility that the oil pump may have gone out, or maybe going out? And, that could have also been the start of my issue in the first place?
While anything is possible, oil pumps on these cars seem to be pretty stout. I'd still look for a collapsed lifter/follower or whatever they're called in an overhead cam engine. Why did this issue start? If it is a collapsed lifter, there could be a piece of crud blocking an oil passage. Could be a bad or damaged lifter. Probably some other reasons I can't think of right now.
Karl

Just an FYI Mark, I had a retired Ford mechanic look at my car today, and he was able to narrow it down. Its one of my cylinders, drivers front cylinder to be exact (sorry, don't have the firing order handy). I was able to troubleshoot it and narrow it down. Its definitely in the valve train, not the bottom end. I pulled the plug, and its fine, no damage to it. Everything is leading more and more towrds the hydraulic valve lash adjuster (basically the lifter) having failed. I disconnected spark from the cylinder, and the clatter/tick subsided, so it doesn't do it under load. So my next step is to crack it open and have a look, maybe replace the adjuster(s). $25 a piece on my side of the border, so not too bad. It will just be fun getting it out... haven't looked into that yet with the cam and all... I just need to do the research and get the torque specs for everything.... I'll try and remember to take a picture or video when I get into it...
Let us know how your diagnostics/findings are coming along!

Last edited:
This is starting to sound like a really common issue with lots of owners. Maybe we should make some sort of walk through.

Maybe I will after I'm done... *sigh*

OK GUYS.... Got my valvue covers off and now I'm just not sure what I'm looking for/at I see my valve lashers or what ever we are calling them now. But I don't see any broken one or something crazy like that...

Suggestions on next steps? Will post pics in just about 5 minutes.

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

Last edited:
I'd start by checking these. They should take a bit of pressure to push down, as they are hydraulic. The best I can reccomend is comparing the pressure it takes to make them move. If you find some, or just one thats weak (takes very little pressure to push in) compared to the rest, then that is likely your culprit. Unless you have the expensive tool that actually measures the lash adjustment, you will have to go by feel only. Thats where I would start, but then again, I don't claim to be a Mechanic....:shrug: Just been around cars and fixing them for 20 years... lol
valve lash adjuster.JPG

Okay, so I tested all them out and none of them move at all.. they are all stiff as heck ... suggestion?

Back