• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Lets not fight...

Should I replace the mounts? or would it be ok to keep driving it the way it is... its not doing any damage (I dont think) its just annoying when I stop at a light and the steering wheel shakes.

Replace the mounts. It is already doing damage that you don't know about yet.

If it is that bad (steering wheel is shaking),

1. The tranny is probably sitting on the subframe,
2. The CV joints/front axles are probably affected
3. The Steering wheel/column is already affected.

The condition of the car cannot get better without taking care of this issue. It will only get worse with more damage as time goes by.

Im in the process of finding a new subframe as mine was messed up late last winter in a wreck. so my front and rear motor mounts are bad, all other mounts are good though. what damage is done by bad motor mounts?

... what damage is done by bad motor mounts?
In addition to causing unnecessary strain on the other two mounts (tranny to fender and front engine to fender), the additional jerking and pulling of the engine/tranny will probably "work" some other nuts and bolts loose.

Last edited:
alright. because of how it happened that rubber is gone but the mounts are still "sitting" on the bottom as i would expect them to. but ill work to get that fixed in the spring. thanks for the info

Ill get them checked out, cuz the steering wheel is shaking when Im stopped at a red light so its prolly bad enough to get fixed. thx

Motor mounts are all fine, had my shop teacher look at them plus the mechanics. There is also nothing touching the steering column... another thing to add, when i bring the idle up with my foot on the brake still it goes away(doesn't seem like much either like 3-400rpm)... teacher said he hasn't seen anything like this, so if u know lmk

Back