• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Lens Replacements?

mwjscn

New CEG'er
Let it be said, for one reason or another my trunk has very little resistance to it (one other problem I have to find a fix for...). You can simply tap it and let it fall to close it, which can be annoying. However, people see the need to slam my trunk even after I tell them not to :mad:. To sum it all up, between pure age and this practice, my rear tail lamp lenses are cracked to hell. :cry:

I was curious if there is (longshot) any sort of replacement lens that one can get for the car? (2000 Mercury Mystique) I don't know if you can just use a solvent to take the stuff holding the lens off, and I would rather not replace the entire units for these minor cracks. Would I have to go to a junkyard and pry the suckers off of the older cars? I would rather use the reflectors and housings I have now, because even given the cars age they are almost immaculate except for the obvious and work quite well.

Thanks for your time and insight in advance.

the lenses are not replaceable as they are glued on, you cant source just the lens anyways. your only option is to replace the entire assembly.

That's a shame. So there is no way I could de-bond a lens from an old assembly I might find at a junkyard? I apologize for my naiveness, I just thought that would work as I am trying to get my Mystique looking pretty again!

not without buying the complete assembly and baking it in the oven. at which point it would be faster to just swap out the whole assembly, its only 3 nuts which are easy to get to.

It's not really the disassembly portion that keeps me from doing this (coming from the person that took apart sections of the car using only a multitool in a college parking lot) it is the money involved. I was just trying to find a solution in which I could try and keep parts that were working, and only replace what it needed... which is just a lens. I guess I will just have to fish through some junkyard and see if I can pick it up for cheap... it just makes me feel like I am betraying the car by swapping out the originals for something else.

Your trunk is slamming hard because your trunk struts are worn out.

They are easy to replace yourself and cost about $30 for a pair.

I did mine a few weeks ago. Works like new now.

you can also get the trunk struts from a junk yard. i did and they work fine and there cheaper. you just have to check and see that the trunk struts are working fine before you buy.

I have a 98 EO svt and I spent an entire weekend in a junkyard trying to get the trunk shocks out.. couldn't do it. Had a buddy try to help me and he couldnt either. Rumor has it they were only built to be strong enough to hold a trunk open with out a spoiler. I guess theadded weight was too much. Also I know the feeling about "betraying" your car with other parts... after the car looks so much better or the part works.. the feeling goes away. Growth is about incorporating newness. :) GOod luck

Back