• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Leaking Clutch Fluid...

Nakalaka2

New CEG'er
Yeah, so on my drive home last night, I was sitting still with the foot on the clutch, car in 1st gear, and bam, it killed as if there was no clutch. I let off the pedal and there was no resistance. Depressed it again and it was fine. Started the car and continued my 15 minute drive home. Over that drive though, it got progressively worse. had to pump the •••• out of the pedal do get it to get into gear, made it home, and absolutely no pressure. I'm not good with diagnosing anything, especially with this tight as hell engine set up, but i got under the car when I got home and sure enough, had some fluid leaking out the front end of the engine (towards the front bumper). I figure its got to be one of the cylinders or the lines? but i have no idea where my Master and slave cylinders are located... otherwise I'm probably gonna limp it down to the dealership and have em replace the cylinder set.
I did hear that the master cylinders out of the 2000ish explorer are known for leaking, so is this possibly an issue that a lot of others have?
Otherwise im guessing that after 185k, they've finally had enough.
Who knows, if i cant fix it myself, im hoping its not gonna cost more than a few hundred dollars...
Any help and advice would be appreciated, thank you guys.

Sounds like the slave finally gave up.
The Slave cylinder is located inside the transmission, see if the fluid is coming out from between the trans and engine.

The easiest way to change the slave is to pull the engine and transmission all together from the top, local dealers are going to charge way more than $300 to perform this job.

Where are you located ?
Normally members here are pretty good at wrenching and can get a job like this done pretty easily, i am in Ohio but not sure how far you are ?

I paid $113 shipped for a new OEM slave from Tousley Ford last year.

I think you're under estimating the cost of pulling and reinserting the engine. If a Tech gets $85 an hour...its much more than 4 hours for the job.

I had the exact same thing happen to me on a trip from Chi to Memphis.

Pulling the engine/trans as mentioned above is not hard...just tedious and frustrating, as you're dealing with nuts and bolts with 185,000 miles and countless heat/cold cycles and exposure to the elements. There's tons of help on this forum for doing the job. Just plan a 3 day weekend for all contingencies...

Really?? God dammit... i dont have the money to pay for an engine pull... and i definitely don't have the know how or time to do it myself...
Im in Whitewater Wisconsin... i doubt theres any ceg members around here...
It is for sure my slave cylinder. Fluid leaking from the area under the tranny...

Whether you do it yourself or have someone to do it...you really should spend the $$$ (around $340) and install a new clutch while its pulled out and apart. I know it adds costs...but I'd take advantage of the moment. 185,000 miles on the stock clutch is about as good as it gets...

Just my $.02

If you where closer I would be more then happy to help you out. Anything for one of my CEG people. Well good luck with getting you're car fixed man I know how it is. I just blew a clutch and its the 7th time my motor has been out in the past five months.

Back