• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Latching gas door

Aussie Ford

Hard-core CEG'er
In this day and age of high gas prices I like the idea of the pre98 latching gas door. Has anyone ever tried to do a recontent of this?

AF

do not believe that has been done. not sure but I believe you are going to need the door obviously, and the cable from teh fuel door to the trunk latch, then from the trunk latch to the interior release. I believe you need the release handle also as the newer ones only pull one way. you might also possible need the trunk latch so the cable can attach to it.

BAT also sells locking gas caps for the contour also ...

I thought about this one more for the fact the pre98 door is flat because it doesn't have teh finger hole used to pull it open, but that was before the bullit fuel door went on the car.

Those are the parts I was thinking about too, but I don't see the trunk latch as a part of it since it already has a cable for it. By that I mean even if you needed to use the other cable it should just be a swap in and out. The latch being a two position function would need replacing and the run to the gas door...... Too bad they don't have pre 98's in our color huh.

On the color issue I do have a couple cans of remixed paint coming, and this time they matched it to my old mirror cover. It ought to be right on now. :laugh:

I'm just kick'n this around because it is raining out......lol

no no no, there is only one calbe to the trunk latch. it may even be one cable period. you of course lift the handle for the trunk lid and press for the fuel door.

Ok I get it that's why you mentioned the latch. I'd have to find one with the electrics for the remote entry too ...... thanks

I just started thinking about this and haven't even checked my CD's yet for what all is needed.....

AF

my first svt i just used a keyed gas cap. they're like $20 and get the job done.

Yes I agree that is one way to go but, anyone can do that. Where is the adventure? Then there is always a key to loose... lol

I mostly want to try this because I think my 99 ought to be at least as fancy as my 95. Besides I'm sure I'll have some paint left over after I paint my old style mirror covers from my heated mirror install. Might just as well paint a fuel door don't you think?

The only thing that may cause a problem is the fuel door itself. It all depends on how it mounts and if ford made changes where by an old style can't be physically installed.

That would be very upsetting....

Anyway it is miserable out and this is a good workout for the mind right now.

AF

My 94 Geo Prism has a latch inside the car for the gas door, so why shouldnt my SVT?? ;)

I see your logic, and I like it.

Electric gas lid

Electric gas lid

The 1992 Ford Tempo GLS(3.0 liter, V6 Vulcan) had an electric solenoid to open the gas lid. It was activated by a push-button switch located in the glove box. If I were thinking about a gas lid lock, I would investigate which Ford models came with the electric solenoid. It would be much easier to run wires from a switch to a solenoid than trying to engineer a pull-cable mechanism to unlatch the door. The gas lid from the Tempo might even be transferable to the Contour, simplifying the project even more.

I guess I should clarify a bit for those of you that have not had an early Tour/Sitque. The pre 98's came with this latching gas door. It was activated by the manual trunk release lever by pushing down instead of lifting. Lifting still popped the trunk, so it was a double action lever. What I am intending on doing is install this pre 98 mechanism in my 99 Tour. If I am successful with this then perhaps others may want to give it a try. Also I just happen to have a tropic green tour and that is a 99+ color so I'll have to paint a gas filler door. The early doors were flush and didn't have the little finger bump to open them. They spring open just a bit when the latch is released. My biggest concern in attempting this is the manor in which the door is mounted (I haven't looked this is all speculation at this point it's crummy outside now), and if they made changes so an early style can not fit on the later model w/o dropping the gas tank or something like that. After all they changed the mirror mounts so an early mirror motor, heated mirrors, and covers are not interchangeable.

It is interesting to think about other applications I kinda like the electric release idea, but perhaps the parts would not be contour friendly. The button would definately need to be in a more driver friendly location.:laugh:

AF

from what I saw when trying to pull a pre98 fuel door from the junk yard and what I know of the post 98 they appear the same in how the door mounts into the plastic cup around the filler neck. I couldn't get it out because the trunk lock was missing and I couldn't get to the cable in the trunk ...

Well thanks for the info there BrApple, that is some welcome news. I might have to paint up a Tropic Green door for ya..... LoL

CF..... why not! :laugh:

This sounds like a fun project, yet I won't be up for trying this till summer... too cold right now

This might look nice on the SVT...

I talked about it before with a buddy of mine who has an SVT. I'm not sure why he didn't end up doing it. I think the biggest issue was finding a setup that was in halfway decent shape.

This might look nice on the SVT...

I talked about it before with a buddy of mine who has an SVT. I'm not sure why he didn't end up doing it. I think the biggest issue was finding a setup that was in halfway decent shape.

Since any pre 98 Tour or Stique has it, I would think parts should not be a problem. If you are picky and had a black SVT you could most likely find one in the right color too.

the whole reason ford got rid of the latching gas door is because the door would get stuck and not release from inside the car. you would constantly have to pop the trunk to release the fuel door from there. that being said you might be able to modify the door with a small spring or something of that sort to help pop it open as i think it would give the car a cleaner, smoother look.

the whole reason ford got rid of the latching gas door is because the door would get stuck and not release from inside the car. you would constantly have to pop the trunk to release the fuel door from there. that being said you might be able to modify the door with a small spring or something of that sort to help pop it open as i think it would give the car a cleaner, smoother look.

raises hand ... I have to open the trunk so I can put fuel in my car :eek:

The spring works fine, the lid sticks to the seal and or the cable stretches or something as pushing down on mine doesn't even release it anymore ...

the whole reason ford got rid of the latching gas door is because the door would get stuck and not release from inside the car. you would constantly have to pop the trunk to release the fuel door from there.
As I understand it Ford did it to cut cost. This was just part of the other items they took away from this car during the 98 change. I have heard that some had these problems, but anything can go wrong at some point. That's why the extra manual release is in the trunk.

raises hand ... I have to open the trunk so I can put fuel in my car :eek:

The spring works fine, the lid sticks to the seal and or the cable stretches or something as pushing down on mine doesn't even release it anymore ...
What have you done to resolve the problem? My 95 has this and it works perfect. When you push the release the fuel door pops open a bit. Did you try a little dressing of some sort like Armour All on the seal?

I'd like to have an indicator light showing the door is open....:laugh: I may have to think about that one. A micro switch someplace.

AF

Back