• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Koni Sport Kit Group Buy Via Skunkworks Autosport

Status
Not open for further replies.
What coilovers did you buy? The only setup AJ Usa has for the contour (at least when I looked up mine) were the sport lowering springs w/struts. Not a coilover setup.

You are not the only one. I remember hearing others that didn't need them. Just posting so that people will know that they may need them.

No biggie, go rent some from the parts store. Isn't it usually its free, with refundable deposit upon return? In any case, its probably worth getting them before instead of taking the struts off the car and realizing you need them. Plus if you are going to transfer old parts over who wants to do the "loosen nut and get out of the way" method on the stockers. . . .

Installed!

Installed!

I apologize for my terminology, these KONIs are NOT coilovers but just springs and struts. Just wanted to clarify...

So we installed the Konis this weekend. We started at 10 AM and finished at 6 PM. We both had previous experience doing this job, but only one other time. We had a trip to Sears, a trip to Autozone, and a break for lunch and several water breaks during the install (outside temp was 101 deg F). We used the suspension how-to off the CEG site, which is VERY good BTW.

I took your advice and I did not get spring compressors. Once we started getting into the job, we realized there WAS NO WAY to do this w/o Spring compressors. Hence the trip to autozone for a rental.

Also, I had to go to Sears because we broke my 6mm allen key while removing the bolt to free up the top hat on the first spring/strut.

Just as an FYI, if you do this job, a pass-through socket set and a heavy duty-mallet really makes it easy. My buddy had a set of the pass-throughs and it was most valuable.

Anyways, the KONIs seemed crappy and unimpressive at first out of the box. The welds were obviously machine done and werent as beefy as the welds on the stock units. Also, there was no instructions at all except a little piece of paper explaining in pictures how to do the adjustments. The paint chipped off pretty easily. Also, KONI doesnt bother including a list of parts, so I was wasn't sure if anything was missing (the picture on the box suggested we were missing some black plastic things). You might as well forget going to the website, it stinks as far as support/documentation goes. We couldn't find ANY.

I was a little concerned about the lack of shock boots (the stocks ones dont fit on the Konis), however; after reading other forums about these Koni Sports kits and finding an official response from Koni, the boots aren't necessary.

Well, once we put them on and I took the car for a ride, OH WOW! I set them up for max stiff at every corner. My CSVT has virtually no understeer. In fact I can now get the rear end loose with a flick of the wheel. My buddy who has a WRX with lowering springs drove it and says it has les roll and understeer than his car. Very encouraging. My tires are spent so next month I am getting a new set of Hankook Ventus RS-IIs.

Thanks CEG for the great Contour Suspension How-To. I couldn't have done it without you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back