• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Keyless entry while engine running ?

I do this everytime i run into a convenient store. i leave the key in the ignition (running) hit the get out and hit the LOCK button on the door. as i take the keyless entry/alarm i have installed with me. then when i come out i hit the unlock/unarm button and bam my doors unlock! :shrug: I guess the previouse owner had it set up this way if you guys' arn't able to do so as well.

I purchased a Ford keyless entry system for my first Contour & it is now installed in the Zetec. The system was programmable for this as well as had an ignition cutoff feature, door lock on startup, headlight & other lighting could be controlled when the doors were locked/unlocked with the remote, etc.

Currently configured so I can use the fob to lock/unlock the doors with the car running. I can even set off the alarm with the car running.

I do this everytime i run into a convenient store. i leave the key in the ignition (running) hit the get out and hit the LOCK button on the door. as i take the keyless entry/alarm i have installed with me. then when i come out i hit the unlock/unarm button and bam my doors unlock! :shrug: I guess the previouse owner had it set up this way if you guys' arn't able to do so as well.

I purchased a Ford keyless entry system for my first Contour & it is now installed in the Zetec. The system was programmable for this as well as had an ignition cutoff feature, door lock on startup, headlight & other lighting could be controlled when the doors were locked/unlocked with the remote, etc.

Currently configured so I can use the fob to lock/unlock the doors with the car running. I can even set off the alarm with the car running.

The system set me back nearly $200 at the dealer, but you can find them on Ebay every once in a while for about $40. :mad:

So this Ford keyless entry is an addin..... was it hard to install? The other day I found a Ford alarm system in a Tour and the Fob was laying on the floor. I got the little black box from under rhe dash and the speaker from under the hood. I have no idea if any of this works,but I did notice when removing the black box that several of the wires were not used and had been cut off. They are all marked as to where they should tie in. I thought I'd just mess around with it and see what happens. Does this sound like yours at all?

So this Ford keyless entry is an addin..... was it hard to install? The other day I found a Ford alarm system in a Tour and the Fob was laying on the floor. I got the little black box from under rhe dash and the speaker from under the hood. I have no idea if any of this works,but I did notice when removing the black box that several of the wires were not used and had been cut off. They are all marked as to where they should tie in. I thought I'd just mess around with it and see what happens. Does this sound like yours at all?

The one I got just used the stock horns and the key fob has the Ford logo molded into it. Sounds like you got some sort of aftermarket unit or a more advanced system than the one I got. You'll need the wiring diagram for the Contour so you know where to splice in the wires, and quite often several wires remain un-used in these systems. For example, the unit I have will also activate the remote trunk release, but I don't have an electric trunk release in my car so those wires are un-used - same with the headlights, I didn't hook up the headlight 'armed' indicator wires.

My fob has two buttons on it and also says Ford all over it and the box. The wires with it are all labeled as to where they go and I do have wiring diagrams for the car. So one of these days I'll get around to testing this unit out. Right now I don't really even know if the fob goes to the car. Shopping at a junk yard is like buying a grab bag you never really know exactly what you have or if it will work...... but hey, for $3.50 a fella can do a bit of messing around, right ;)

Thanks for the in-put and you have a good year, OK

Back