• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Jeremy Clarkson--The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

The part where he fills the two cars with water.

Both made by Ford and the jag was alot better kept than the lincoln. What a joke.

Both made by Ford and the jag was alot better kept than the lincoln. What a joke.

Apparently all of Europe builds cars better because a 27 year old "European" car is able to hold water in the cabin better than a 27 year old American car. Wow.

And he says the Ford GT is about as American as the US National Anthem...which was written by a Brit.
Um...technically every single one of our founding fathers was a Brit, and almost every 'original' American was a Brit, so it's quite likely that the national anthem was written by a "Brit."

ummmm it WAS a freaken joke... haven't you EVER seen top gear??

why you guys *****ing?

hes a british dude driving america cars.... its laughter at first sight.... is this rediculously easy to take in and enjoy or is it just me?? :shrug:

Yeah, it's a given that, at best, Clarkson will say an American car is "ok". Still, a hell of a lot of fun to watch!

And the whine on the Roush.... oh man.

Edit:
I just noticed that he went to the worst intersction in L.A. for his little traffic demo. When I take Coldwater Canyon to Beverly home, I drive through that. Yes, it's a problem, but so are L.A. drivers. Ah well.

Last edited:
hey, if the brits are so great at building cars, why is it that Ariel and Lotus have to go to Japanese manufacturers for their motors? and how many Land Rovers and Jags have British motors in them??

huh? whats that? none? oh, JC should joke about that. :rolleyes:

Was there an echo at John's......?

:p

hahaha

steve to answer your question, ariel atoms use the honda motor because its a VERY sick engine. its very very very reliable and is cheap to buy. why in the heck would a small operation like ariel MAKE THERE OWN ENGINE?? that would be just a waste of $$$

lotus uses the celica engine because its cheap, reliable, and available. i believe the honda s2000 motor is what they origonally wanted, but, the celica was cheaper and toyota gave a better insentive. mind you, just think how many tens of millions of dollars the elise/exige went through JUST to come up with a world class chassis design, superior handling, and aerodynamics.

it cost a pretty penny to come up with ANY new engine for ANY car company.

ALSO what you forgot to mention, steve, was that getting cars here into the united states is not all that easy. you need to meet certain requirments in order to become street eligable. for instance you need a motor that passes smog and noise restriction levels. why not buy a already existing engine that meets the standards and just use it and save your small company a chunk load of coin.

edit: i forgot to mention that new cars must be able to drive something like 100k miles without replacing a single part inorder for it to meet us-spec (that means nothing can be changed except oil)... now once agian, its much more cost efficient to use a engine that already meets all of the usa federal requirements.

Last edited:
call me crazy, but the mustang he raced against the horse wasn't a 300hp GT like he said it was, it was only a v6. wtf is that?

Though I could be sarcastic, I'll just politely point out that that was stated multiple times in the thread. G'day sir!

ummmm it WAS a freaken joke... haven't you EVER seen top gear??

why you guys *****ing?

hes a british dude driving america cars.... its laughter at first sight.... is this rediculously easy to take in and enjoy or is it just me?? :shrug:

I really don't know if he's joking though. As much crap as he talks about American cars, it's hard to imagine that he wasn't trying to make a serious point.

I just noticed that he went to the worst intersction in L.A. for his little traffic demo. When I take Coldwater Canyon to Beverly home, I drive through that. Yes, it's a problem, but so are L.A. drivers. Ah well.

I'm not sure what you mean. His whole point was that a highly complicated intersection worked smoothly, there was no conflict like he wanted.

CTS-V would have been a better choice

Hummer and Escalade VS the Rover was lobsided as well, I like how they wedged the Escalade into the side of a cliff, like anyone would be that retarded, and the Hummer just died? Sure. An old 4.0L Cherokee would have been a better chice in that one.

I like Top Gear most of the time but sometimes it's just a bit too "British are better at everything than anyone on the face of the earth" which gets a little bit annoying.

HEHEHE I like the last quote - and yes your right we are!!!!

M9G

Only kiddin not all of us are like that but you got to admit european cars are better and summit i don't understand is why you have little cars with blummin great 5.4litre v8's in them and yet the equivalent car over here with 1.6litre engines are just as quick or even quicker. Is it done to burn as much fuel as possible coz it's cheap over there but then restrict the performance of the car, I genuinly don't know why and am curious. I remember coming over to florida about 10 years ago and we had some chrysler convertible for the 2 weeks and it had summit like a 3.6litre engine but the performance was crap and the fuel price was less than a 1GBP per gallon, when over here it was 4 times that and i also noticed that most of the fuel stations i saw over there was BP (british petroleum). Bloody british government are right rip off's with the amount of taxes we have to pay over here.

Anyway now I'm getting into politics and I don't do politics so gonna stop there.

Last edited:
HEHEHE I like the last quote - and yes your right we are!!!!

M9G

Only kiddin not all of us are like that but you got to admit european cars are better and summit i don't understand is why you have little cars with blummin great 5.4litre v8's in them and yet the equivalent car over here with 1.6litre engines are just as quick or even quicker. Is it done to burn as much fuel as possible coz it's cheap over there but then restrict the performance of the car, I genuinly don't know why and am curious. I remember coming over to florida about 10 years ago and we had some chrysler convertible for the 2 weeks and it had summit like a 3.6litre engine but the performance was crap and the fuel price was less than a 1GBP per gallon, when over here it was 4 times that and i also noticed that most of the fuel stations i saw over there was BP (british petroleum). Bloody british government are right rip off's with the amount of taxes we have to pay over here.

Anyway now I'm getting into politics and I don't do politics so gonna stop there.

:laugh:

You poor thing. All of your hyperbole aside, I think the closest thing he put together using "equivalent" cars was the sedan race.
Also unless you're talking about a mountain, never ever use the word summit. Just don't.
And the first thing you said:
Only kiddin not all of us are like that but you got to admit european cars are better
Not everyone's like that, but you are apparently. Set your ethnocentrism aside for a few minutes and open your eyes and you'll see that perhaps your continent isn't quite infallible.

Back