• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Is it the battery or alternator?

Sure, you can present it. You can gift wrap it and put a bow on it. :laugh: Nowhere in this post did the year of the vehicle ever come out. I can't guess what people hold back which is why I generally ask a lot of questions before making a call. Until the age of the car is established, I'll stick with my diagnosis.
Karl

Last edited:
Sure, you can present it. You can gift wrap it and put a bow on it. Nowhere in this post did the year of the vehicle ever come out. I can't guess what people hold back which is why I generally ask a lot of questions before making a call. Until the age of the car is established, I'll stick with my diagnosis.
Karl
ROTFL. I presented 99M03 not to state it is a 95 to 97 vehicle. It has been posted many times that other model years some as late as 99 have the wiring harness issues too. I posted (and so did Big Jim) to state that chaffed wiring can and will cause electrical shorts (or drain). Have you never seen chaffed wiring on vehicles 7 years or newer? I have.

I agree that it could be something other than the battery or the alternator. It shouldn't take too long to do a cursory inspection of the various wiring harnesses - at least the ones that are in plain sight. Still, I'd like to see a chart or graph or something that shows how many vehicles out of the total made actually suffered from this recall issue. Any guesses? <15%? :cool:
Karl

Last edited:
All of the 95 to 97 had harnesses made with inadequate material for the wiring insulation. That would be 100% have the propensity for the problem.

Wiring issues don't have to start with crappy insulation. Most of the cars I worked on when I was a dealership technician didn't have insulation problems but I still had to deal with many various wiring issues. I would start by looking for modifications to the factory wiring, such as trailer towing wiring or non factory sound systems. Still I would sometimes find a loom that had been abraded and worn through the insulation or wiring that was overloaded and melted. Sometimes even factory goofs of the wrong pin out order in a connector that caused weird problems.

Back