• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Is it normal

D.Acker

Owner/LUCA’s *****
Admin
For summer tires to be louder than winter. I just put my bfg kdw's back on and ran them around the block, my god they are noticeably louder than the blizzaks.

Is this normal? I'm assuming they just need to heat up a bit and get driven on for a while to break back in so to speak. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this, wow, do they feel alot different!

Last edited:
Certain tires are just louder than others. Not all summer tires produce the same road noise either.

Certain tires are just louder than others. Not all summer tires produce the same road noise either.

Cool. I remembered the noise dying off when I switched last fall, but damn, I just don't remember quite so much of a difference. Oh well, I guess there's always that adjustment period.

I know, I know, the stock tires are probably the worse possible ones for noise also.

the kdws can be noisy. also I bet the snow tires are a softer compound so that could make then quieter also.

Snow tires are typically much quieter due to the rubber compound. KDW tires are one of the loudest tires available.

This is why you noticed it so much. I had the same situation going from my Blizzak WS-50's to my KDW-2's

Snow tires are typically much quieter due to the rubber compound. KDW tires are one of the loudest tires available.

This is why you noticed it so much. I had the same situation going from my Blizzak WS-50's to my KDW-2's

Besides the noise, how do you like the KDW-2's? I've been wondering about them, unique looking tread pattern if you ask me.

I find my yokohama ice gaurd IG20's to be much louder than my kumho ecsta SPT's. They make this very audible higher pitch whirring noise at higher RPM's

My Bridgestone Winterforces are like that. LOTS of noise. My Yokohama ES100s were quiet. We will see how my Bridgestone RE-01Rs are...

Besides the noise, how do you like the KDW-2's? I've been wondering about them, unique looking tread pattern if you ask me.

Amazing tire. They are extremely sticky. I could push the car to the limits in the corners and never have a slip.

I'm running Kumho SPT's now though. My previous 17" wheels had the KDW-2's but I honestly didn't want to deal with the noise again so I chose the Kumho's this time around.

The KDW-2's pretty much sound like bad wheel bearings to anyone that didn't know what tires I was running. The humming while cruising at highway speeds was annoying after a while. The more they wore, the louder they got.

The KDW-2's pretty much sound like bad wheel bearings to anyone that didn't know what tires I was running. The humming while cruising at highway speeds was annoying after a while. The more they wore, the louder they got.

Yup. Bad wheel bearing sound! I even took my car back to my mechanic last year after putting them back on thinking it was wheel bearings again:(. Quick test drive and he confirmed it wasn't the bearings. I just have to get used to the noise again.

My Dunlops have started to make that hum and I cant stand it. I even had the balance checked and it didnt change a thing. You have to pay to play I guess.

Amazing tire. They are extremely sticky. I could push the car to the limits in the corners and never have a slip.

I'm running Kumho SPT's now though. My previous 17" wheels had the KDW-2's but I honestly didn't want to deal with the noise again so I chose the Kumho's this time around.

lol very true @ how loud the kdw's are and also very true on them getting louder as they wear. I thought i was just imagining it but now hearing it from others makes me feel better. I will say this much. I have never had a better tire on any car than these kdw 2's and they look sexy too:drool:

Back