• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Is a Cougar manual trans the same as the contour?

ok sweet i figured they were the same! my trans was from the junkyard already and the trans mount pints on the back were brok off only 1 bolt to hold it!

so it took me 2 hrs by myself to drop the motor and trans out and get my trans looked to be new clutch real clean pp and tb looks as good as my new one. clutch worked great before i pulled it so im not gonna mess with it just put it in they drained the fluid so it takes 2.7 qts? im gonna give it a shot of lucas to.

There were revisions an the 01 cougar trans' are different. They take 2 qts not 3 as well.

what all is different? will a contour trans bolt into an 01 cougar assuming it's already bolted to my 3.0 and my contour poly mount?

if not that way, would it work with a contour subframe?

So if someone wanted to do a transmission swap on a 2000 SVT, is the 2001 Cougar trans the best option. Is that the last of the revisions?

smokinjoe said:
So if someone wanted to do a transmission swap on a 2000 SVT, is the 2001 Cougar trans the best option. Is that the last of the revisions?

an 2k SVT should also have the revised mtx that takes the 2.1 qts of fluid. not sure if there where any other changes.

what changed to make it take .6 qts less fluid? I'm guessing the revisions we're disussing are the three part shaft as opposed to two piece? does the new style shaft actually displace that much more fluid?

Back