• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Intrest Check: Harness Bar/Roll Cage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amyn,

Rear seats are possible, but personally not recommended. I owned one of the Bondurant SHO instructor cars and they used bent rear bars and installed rear seat harnesses, but I still never felt comfortable with passengers in the rear seats. I suppose if they had a helmet and a HANS with the harnesses tight enough to keep them from hitting the cage, the rear seat is OK, but most people are not going to want to do that to go out to dinner ;-)

From an asthetic standpoint, I think the best option is making a custom panel to cover the seat back. I have seen it done in aluminum, but a nicely upholstered panel might look better with a full dress show car. Also, have you thought about custom stereo work to fill the back seat area? I am not one for an eardrum blowing stereo, but it would fit with a show car theme (and good clean sound at moderate levels is always nice). I have seen many nicely done speaker/amp setups in the back seat area.

There are a lot of different ways to go, and with some thought, you can still keep a clean looking car with a cage.

Mike

P.S. Our cage builder is getting close to clearing out his backlog from the beginning of race season. I should be able to get prices in the near future.

extremely interested in this, so bump to find out if anything happened with this.

i have heard harness bars are extremely dangerous, i mean i would love to have racing seats and harnesses in my contour but... i would also rather have a normal neck and not be dead...

i have heard harness bars are extremely dangerous, i mean i would love to have racing seats and harnesses in my contour but... i would also rather have a normal neck and not be dead...

please explain?

well its all a personal choice to who ever buys them, personally im puting in a full cage, other people may not.
but thank you for giving some sorces to people who are thinking about just the harness bar.

http://www.dtmpower.net/forum/archived-threads/17370-harness-bars-good-bad.html
http://zilvia.net/f/chat/117719-strut-tower-harness-bar-safe-legal.html
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2567732

point is, is that if you have a harness bar without a roll cage you are pretty much asking for death racers in the gymkhana sport also refer to harness bars as "death bars"

Really isn't a whole lot of detail in those links. If your using any kind of harness belt setup with a 'stock' seat and a harness bar I could see the problems. But my racing seats are build with a tubular steel frame and is a fixed back seat so the structure is all in one piece. Not only that but the seat back is well above my head even with a helmet on. So in the even of a roll over my seat would be supporting the car not my head. Also I wouldn't have to worry about 'breaking my neck' because I have a solid steel structure in my seat and that would hit the harness bar first. I can only see this harness bar being a 'death bar' if installed with improper related components. A full roll cage is not necessary to use a harness bar and still be safe.

In anycase this is going way off topic of GB discussion. It's almost as if this thread should be moved to another section in the forums. As I have not seen any talk of the GB aspect of this thread in a long time.

if these guys arent going to do a group buy then i think this summer ill make a crap ton of harness bars and sell in a GB situation. but it wont be till summer when i can work outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back