• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Interest Check: Bumpers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

svt4stv

Hard-core CEG'er
just for S&Gz i looked into having stock csvt bumpers made from duraflex.

we'd be looking at about $400 or so each, plus shipping.

then i thought, if we were to spend that kind of money, what about having custom bumpers made?? :shrug:

like the Audi front bumper or the Cobra R style that are floating out there...

just a thought....

since there are still junkyard bumpers out there, not sure there is a real market for having them made. especially since people dont need them till they need them, unlike mirkos and JP covers..

^:nonono:^

Most people don't want to spend 3-400 for good OEM used bumpers.

Im not most people :)

But remember Steve is offering us a NEW Duraflex bumper for the price your asking.

I dont think I would spend over 200 for a used svt bumper.... I found one on CL for $80 bucks the other day. Didnt buy it tho. and when my cars bumper got messed up a couple years back I bought mine for 200 bucks...

- amyn

Im not most people :)

But remember Steve is offering us a NEW Duraflex bumper for the price your asking.

I dont think I would spend over 200 for a used svt bumper.... I found one on CL for $80 bucks the other day. Didnt buy it tho. and when my cars bumper got messed up a couple years back I bought mine for 200 bucks...

- amyn
:shocked: for real an for true, linky:shrug:

which is why im thinking custom bumpers like the A4 or Cobra R style ones that are out there. although they might not work with the mirkos..:blackeye:

which is why im thinking custom bumpers like the A4 or Cobra R style ones that are out there. although they might not work with the mirkos..:blackeye:

Steve... why not ask them to make a bumper with the Mirko molded in??? I would be 200% down for that!!

Maybe you could even have it made cheaper then 400 if they can adapt the new mold they are making for the Mirko splitter to fit with the bumper!?

What do you guys think?! That would be amazing in my opinion! Then the whole thing would be made out of Duraflex and it would be brand flippin new!

i'd personally like to see an st200 style that sticks out farther like the svt bumper does so it wouldnt require a new reinforcement. i like modified cars that look like they could have come from the factory that way. cobra r could be cool as well

Steve... why not ask them to make a bumper with the Mirko molded in??? I would be 200% down for that!!

Maybe you could even have it made cheaper then 400 if they can adapt the new mold they are making for the Mirko splitter to fit with the bumper!?

What do you guys think?! That would be amazing in my opinion! Then the whole thing would be made out of Duraflex and it would be brand flippin new!

i looked into this before and posted up a thread about it but people were more interested in them being seperate pieces. the parts are still breakable folks. theyre just much more forgiving. now if you had a one piece bumper/mirko and broke it.... and there's NO WAY it could be less than $400 while having both pieces as a part of it.

im sure i could still have this done, instead of the mirko mold, but the new mold would cost a bit more. raising the price on the parts. the "splitters" would go from $300 to $400 (at least. plus more on shipping).

personally, i would prefer that instead of just a splitter that we have to mount on the bumper. but some people were complaining that the splitter sits too low and if they cant remove it, it would break too easily.

I dont think I would spend over 200 for a used svt bumper....
- amyn

What is wrong with a used bumper that has no damage for $2-300? It doesn't make any sense that you would spend $400 + shipping for something that is no different than a used one.... Saying that you wouldn't spend over $200 on a used bumper is like saying you wouldn't buy a $100,000 house for $25,000 because it is used. Think about your statement a little bit.

Would the duraflex bumper have all the tabs for grills and the mounting points for the fog light brackets, or would it be just a shell like the Micah bumpers were?

Agreed that people who don't want to pay $300 for a mint CSVT bumper are a bit annoying. Its not like they're made anymore. Supply and demand states that if you don't want it, someone else will for that price.

anyone have a/the ps version of the contour/audi and contour/ cobra r and contour/ m3?

i was going to cut the bottom half off a regular contour bumper and shape some foam to make a new type of bumper when funds permit. if i have a picture to go off of then i can try to make it look that way. i will work on it when time permits. but right now i am working on those sideskirts.

not trying to take away from making bumpers because these guys will do a better job then i will. just no point on making a stock looking one.

What is wrong with a used bumper that has no damage for $2-300? It doesn't make any sense that you would spend $400 + shipping for something that is no different than a used one.... Saying that you wouldn't spend over $200 on a used bumper is like saying you wouldn't buy a $100,000 house for $25,000 because it is used. Think about your statement a little bit.

Would the duraflex bumper have all the tabs for grills and the mounting points for the fog light brackets, or would it be just a shell like the Micah bumpers were?

New Duraflex Bumper (much more forgiving) vs Used SVT Bumper.

The Duraflex will only be $100 more and its new, and ready for light scuffing and paint.

To me I would rather spend $100 dollars to get a better material bumper that is ready to be sprayed than a used one that is probably off in color and has to be sanded down and repainted (more work). Is your time really worth saving $100 dollars for a used bumper and going through the hastle, probably not.

And as for your analogy Yes I would rather spend $100000 on the house because I wont have to renovate it..... :shrug:

Just my POV...

- amyn

I am a bargain shopper, so I see our perspective of "value" is different. To each his own. No reason to try to state my point then.

Personally a new duraflex bumper would be better for me since I scrap a lot with my splitter installed. If the duraflex is more forgiving and I was sporting one now, I wouldn't be in the market for another bumper :shrug:

I'd be more inclined to change out the entire bumper every winter if this was my DD versus ruining a OEM bumper to mount the splitter in the first place. Once you punch holes in your bumper to mount the splitter... theres no going back. Plus it's not that much more work to remove the bumper, 4 bolts and a few push-in's.

So.... what's the story with this?? Any chance on a SVT bumper with a molded in Mirko splitter in duraflex?? Pending the answer determines whether I buy the duraflex splitter seperately... thanks!

You know, the more I think about it, the more I'd be fine with this if it happened instead of just the splitters. It isn't like its hard to swap the bumper out compared to some of the stuff we do to these cars. Mirko bumper in the summer, stock in winter, done and done. So have you even contacted the company about this possibiltiy or were you just seeing if it was worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back