• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Intake filter suggestions please.

svttour

Rico Suave
Well I think the filter that came with this kit is too long. Im scared of hydrolock especially in FL that everything floods in the rainy season. An suggestions on a shorter filter? Perferrably k&n 3" diameter on the flange to fit the piping.

IMG_0487-1.jpg

fener is back on. liner goes back on tomorrow.

You have to admit that muther sucker is clean!

Joey was able to angle the filter so it was parallel to the road. I wasn't able to do that with mine, below, but I thought that was because I had a Cougar with a 3.0L UIM installed.

50.jpg

RU- 3770 is 5" long at the filter and has 3" ID at the flange. I was just looking at them yesterday. check it out.

I had to cut the crap out of the fender area for the nautilus cold air intake kit on a cougar. That may or may not hold true for your cougar. It looks like the same type of routing as the normal CAI they sell. The fender area in the cougar is slightly different making it a bit more difficult.

Anyone know if there is a CFM rating for K&N filters? I'm working on relocating my supercharger filter to the fender area on the passenger side. There are space constraints because of the 2.5" piping in that area already. I want to see how small of a filter I can use and still be ok CFM wise.

Exactly how I ended up flooding out my motor about 2 years back.

Just gonna have to avoid anything that looks deep.

I believe AEM makes something you can run in-line somewhere before the MAF that will prevent hydrolock.

Joey was able to angle the filter so it was parallel to the road. I wasn't able to do that with mine, below, but I thought that was because I had a Cougar with a 3.0L UIM installed.

50.jpg

This filter looks like it may just work. Is this the RU-3770?

I ran a filter in a similar fashion on my 95SE, though it ran down by the trans. It hung pretty low, and sure it wasn't a F/I car, but I never had any trouble. I just made sure to stay out of deep puddles. Have you thought about making the tube shorter so the filter sits higher? How about making some sort of a splash guard? Maybe figure out a way for it to sit further in towards the bumper?

Thanks for pointing that out Sean. My brother gave me a 90 elbow 3" so Im going to swap it out and see how it looks. Pics will be posted.

Sure does. Thanks for pointing that out. I wonder if there is something with the same concept that can be put onto FI.

You could easily rig something up to work as long as you did it all before the MAF. Drill a hole in the intake pipe in the engine bay. Install a fitting and run a 1" line to a large breather filter. When water comes in contact with the main filter air will be pulled in through the breather temporarily because it will be easier for the engine to pull air in through that path then to pull water up. If you revved the car it could probably still suck up the water but I'd bet that would happen even with the AEM bypass.

Back