• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Intake and Exhaust Valves

djquik1

CEG'er
Ok, I did a search and turned up no results for my question,please no flaming.

What oversized valves can be used in 3L heads. I have heard you can use Intake and Exhaust valves from the 4.6L but I am not finding anything for sure that you can.

Can any of you help out? i plan on ordering valves in the next week

What oversized valves can be used in 3L heads. I have heard you can use Intake and Exhaust valves from the 4.6L but I am not finding anything for sure that you can.

Can any of you help out? i plan on ordering valves in the next week

There are valves that will fit...after i did the research for size and specs. But they won't work. Search...i covered this topic long ago...and Rara cleared up the concerns that came with them.

There are valves that will fit...after i did the research for size and specs. But they won't work. Search...i covered this topic long ago...and Rara cleared up the concerns that came with them.

I too have searched for this info, I have found where there are valves that will fit but cant recall why they wont fit. Hell I have even PM'd harrry and got no response. So where is this magical post from Rara?

if you dont have 20,000 posts and your car doesnt make 400HP you just get the run around. He flat out said he Searched and COULDNT FIND ANYTHING. I have had the SAME results on this topic! Its not like he is asking a question like what kind of exhaust will fit on my SVT, or where can I buy a K&N filter

good luck in your search djquik1

So where was the thread? I searched for it and came up with nothing.I might be a newb on this forum,but I have been on forums for several years and I am familiar with the search function and it's quirks on vbulletin forums.

I too have searched for this info, I have found where there are valves that will fit but cant recall why they wont fit. Hell I have even PM'd harrry and got no response. So where is this magical post from Rara?

if you dont have 20,000 posts and your car doesnt make 400HP you just get the run around. He flat out said he Searched and COULDNT FIND ANYTHING. I have had the SAME results on this topic! Its not like he is asking a question like what kind of exhaust will fit on my SVT, or where can I buy a K&N filter

good luck in your search djquik1

Thanks man, I might just cover this topic on my own and post up my findings on here and hopefully a mod or a admin would sticky this.

if you dont have 20,000 posts and your car doesnt make 400HP you just get the run around. He flat out said he Searched and COULDNT FIND ANYTHING.1

You need the intake side of the 4.6L valves...which are 2mm larger then the 3.0L intake valves.
I know there are others threads..but this is one of them...i don't have anymore time to search/...(into it for 4 mins so far)

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showt...hest-hp-out-of-the-3l&highlight=intake+valves

I say search because i KNOW IT IS OUT THERE. Now i didn't respond to you probably cause i get 10 pms + a day. And if i know someone said "i searched" but i pm'd you cause i didn't find it...i tend to ignore them because i'm helping people who actually have car problems or need assistance...so it means i have to go somewhere. Look at my feedback...i help or call and talk to anyone who has any issues peroid. Sorry i hurt your feelings to take a jab at me. Normally i'm really good with responding to people's pm.!

Here is rara's post....from this thread.

If you really want larger valves, you will need to have custom valves made with the larger head size. You will also need the heads machined with larger seat insert pockets, and locate new seat insert blanks to use (this would probably be the easiest part, even though you need to pick the correct material). You will also need to increase the spring rates to accomodate the increased mass of the valves. Since you won't be able to run complex valve studies, its better to err on the conservative side with much stiffer. Unfortunately, no stiffer valves exist that the regular 3L springs, and no the ST220 springs are not actually stiffer, I've personall spoken with an engineer from the OEM spring supplier that told me the rates are the same for all the 3L spring part numbers. Basically this means you will need custom wound springs as well.

This all assumes there is enough room, center to center to actually fit both valves on the intake side. Don't forget to account for the seat inserts and the pockets to accomodate them.

I guess what I'm saying is that it could be done if you REALLY wanted to; but I don't think the benefit is there. When using the 3L valves, they have never been the limit for making more power NA or boosted with the D25/D30 engine family. Your $$ and effort is better spent elsewhere.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showt...s-fit-in-a-2.5L-head&highlight=mustang+valves

Now enjoy the information...cause i'm done with lunch. I'll check in on this later...but i'll post tomorrow. :)

Thanks!

I have read your threads in regards to this, but dont remeber ever reading the post from Rara you quoted. I have searched through CEG, the archives, other sites, etc..........there just isnt that much info about the subject, in regards to this application. You hear pepole swapping out for 3L valves on hybrid builds, but thats about it, and normally there arent reasons given for not choosing a different valve.

I wasnt attacking you, I just get sick of seeing people saying search when a valid question is asked that hasnt been beaten to death/asked a million times. I appreciate your insight on the subject, and I am sure djquik1 does as well :cool:

I appreciate the input,I have contacted Rara on it and he pm'd me back already.I will be exploring the custom end of it.

Back