• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Incandescent vs LEDs

Matt R

Hard-core CEG'er
For all those interested... LED in one map light, incandescent in the other.
0702082111.jpg

And that's just 3 small 3mm LEDs. That puts out no heat, so it won't melt the plastic if its not aligned properly, and I can leave that on all night with almost no effect on the battery. Any questions? :D

For all those interested... LED in one map light, incandescent in the other.

And that's just 3 small 3mm LEDs. That puts out no heat, so it won't melt the plastic if its not aligned properly, and I can leave that on all night with almost no effect on the battery. Any questions? :D

Where to buy, how to do, what I need??

Pretty sure that's who they were asking as he was the OP and said "any questions?"

Patiently awaiting answer as well.:cool:

LOL, make me feel smart why don't ya.... :laugh:
LEDs I believe you can get at radio shack or definitely online, you'll need resistors and a steady hand to saughter and wire them up, but as I said, Matt R. is the man when it comes to LEDs, PM him, he can probably make something for ya. I have had all my switches done by him as well as my gauges and they came out great.

LOL, make me feel smart why don't ya.... :laugh:
LEDs I believe you can get at radio shack or definitely online, you'll need resistors and a steady hand to saughter and wire them up, but as I said, Matt R. is the man when it comes to LEDs, PM him, he can probably make something for ya. I have had all my switches done by him as well as my gauges and they came out great.

never saw someone butcher the word solder like that before

kind of ironic :laugh:

All I did was solder 3 3mm LEDs and a resistor together, then stuck them in the map light spot.

what sort of connector does the map light bulb take? once the 3l is up and running and I get the koni's on my next step is to play with leds and paint my grill

made my own 90 degree bulb with a combination of something like this:

89sw.jpg

and a hacked up one of these:

1156_base_wm.jpg

and some zip tipes :blackeye:

On the plug in base, I pulled the 2 pin connector, trimmed back some of that plastic, then wired it appropriately. I think there was a solid stiff piece of wire in the center of the base, and I have that just resting on the outside of the LED bulb to make a connection. I think I soldered in the other wire. Almost all of these bayonet LED bulb fixtures are polarity dependent and unfortunately opposite polarity of the dome light wiring.

If I could do it over, I would probably get that same base, and wire in a festoon base:
festoon_socket_wm.jpg

I took 3 rows of 3 3mm LEDs and pointed them down in the rear dome. You could just get a 10mm white LED and use that... it has the brightness of 10 3mm LEDs.

Back