• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I’d forgotten how much fun these cars are to drive!

JEDsContour

CEG'er
We’ve been having some rotten weather here the last week. A kind of gloomy, relentless drizzle. I’ve been planning to sell one of my 99 SVT’s, but it’s been impossible to take decent pictures.

Well, the rain let up for a bit yesterday evening and the roads dried. I decided to drive the car to take my daughters out to dinner. I hesitate driving it because the undercarriage is so clean, but what's the sense of having a car? I use black rubber Ford "Mondeo" mats to keep the SVT mats pristine - exactly the same size and a perfect fit with a lip that keeps them nicely centered.

The point is – I had forgotten how nicely balanced these cars are in stock trim. This car drives and runs perfectly, and I mean really nice. The sound of the engine is so sweet and the transmission shifts smoothly and cleanly. The secondaries open with an authority that pushes you back in the seat.

SVT Contours are great fun! I live on a long winding blacktop country road and it was hard to keep the speed down to just the “mildly illegal” range. I could easily talk myself into keeping this car if I didn't have another just as nice.

I frankly think the stock suspension setup with these cars is much better balanced for daily driving then any of the typical modifications, and I’ve owned plenty of both. An almost perfect balance of handling and power.

Think hard about how you actually use your car before you jump into suspension mods. The Ford SVT engineers did a great job with this design. I think Contours have to be the most under-appreciated SVT automobile. Maybe it’s the four doors. I can only believe these cars will become more popular with collectors over time, especially since it’s been 10 years now since their introduction.

I first saw this car parked under a dusty cover in the previous owners garage after responding to single line ad in the paper “99 Ford Contour, low mileage, green.” It had obviously been sitting there for many years. The tires were badly dry rotted and stuck to the cement floor, and the battery was toast. I put gas preservative and five gallons of fresh high test in the tank before I even tried starting it. Other than the simple neglects of time, the car was in terrific shape and the owner had kept all the paperwork, to include the window sticker.

After I got it home I replaced the tires (same as factory original), battery, all the fluids, rotors/ pads, and both front lower control arms (the ball joint rubber boots had cracked) and both tie rod ends. I also replaced the sway bar bushings with BAT polyurethane and all the sway bar end links with new Ford parts, front and rear. Overkill to be sure – but once the car is on jack stands and all apart, it only makes sense to just do it.

I’ve never even waxed the car – though I did give the inside a good cleaning with the seats removed. I also installed the Ford Dashboard warp repair kit. I’ve done that to both my current cars. I can imagine how bad that warp must get with cars that are left outside and uncovered all the time. The kit is well thought out and it does make a difference.

As of this morning I have 20,238 miles on the car. Its kind of crazy to see this showroom-fresh car and know it’s nearly 10 years old. I’ve never thought of these as being true collector cars – but maybe that’s changing.

Well the sun is out finally and I have a short trip I need to make…. This car is too much fun!

Last edited:
sweet!
Nice to see you take such good care of it too.

So has it now made you change your mind about selling?
No, I really do have too many automobiles. One low mileage tropic green CSVT is enough and I'll be putting all my hobby time into my Noble soon.

But maybe just one more trip...

Last edited:
i got to drive my turbo zetec for the first time in months last night as well. im in love all over again. :drool::D

i feel that way once a week. (every time i get a new one):laugh:

Hey, I enjoyed your story alot, sounds like something out of motortrend lol. As far as selling your car, how about the CEG classifieds first? That way a beautiful low mileage SVT will get a probably get a good home with someone who is knowledgeable about the car. Just a suggestion...

Hey, I enjoyed your story alot, sounds like something out of motortrend lol. As far as selling your car, how about the CEG classifieds first? That way a beautiful low mileage SVT will get a probably get a good home with someone who is knowledgeable about the car. Just a suggestion...

Agreed! I'd hate to see it go to someone who's not an enthusiast of this platform. Hope it goes to a good home.

Agreed! I'd hate to see it go to someone who's not an enthusiast of this platform. Hope it goes to a good home.
then again selling it outside of CEG gives other people who aren't enthusiasts a reason to become one! Plus you may make more money on a stock SVT off these forums as we tend to be cheapskates.

then again selling it outside of CEG gives other people who aren't enthusiasts a reason to become one! Plus you may make more money on a stock SVT off these forums as we tend to be cheapskates.
Not so sure ... those who aren't enthusiasts do not know about the car's limitations. There are several instances of "outside CEG" sales that resulted in the buyer flipping the car or blowing up the engine. Most recently, Pen_Two's coworker who took it airborne in less than a week of ownership. And I am still very upset that MAZDASPEED's SVT was flipped by the teenager who bought it.

That can be true.

I actually accepted an offer for $12.5K from a CEGer…. And then it became $11.5K.:rolleyes: I’ve decided not to mess around and just sell it in an Ebay auction. I’ll make sure the new owner joins CEG as a condition of sale (if they are not already a member).

Hey, I finally posted some pictures. This car is amazing in person!

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=29163

That car looks beautiful. Man i thought having 68k miles was low mileage for a 10 year old car:shrug: .

How many miles does your other T-Green have jed?
Are you still planning on upgrading your other t-green or is the Nobel 3L going to be kept aside for this noble you plan on building? If i remember correct you bought the very last SF/ADC turbo kit?? Have you made any progress on installing this kit.?

Very nice, Jim.

I found your ebay ad as well. I think you shouldn't have any problem selling it.

Best luck with the sale.

I frankly think the stock suspension setup with these cars is much better balanced for daily driving then any of the typical modifications, and I’ve owned plenty of both. An almost perfect balance of handling and power.
I guess that might be true. But thanks to your decision that not to put the Eibach/BAT kit onto that car so my car can have them. And I enjoy that set up very much. :)

Last edited:
Back